The 1 Gig IDE Drive to CFFA 3000 Project

5 replies [Last post]
gsmcten's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 4 2005
Posts: 2609

I'm a little awkward when it comes to doing things with electronics. Anyone who has read the Mountain Expansion Chassis posts will know that.

The main Idea here is to connect a 1 Gig IDE hard drive to the CFFA 3000 in my Apple IIe.

1. I have the CFFA Card and the drive.
2. I have a complete USB to IDE Adapter Kit.

Here is the problem:

How do I (and what do I use to) partition and format the IDE Drive so that I have half in DOS 3.3 and half in ProDOS?

Here is what I do Know:

1. There is a 32 Meg Limit on partitions.
2. This is a 1 Gig drive, so it will have 32 partitions (so that would be like 32
separate drives).

Thats it. Thats the project. Partition and format the drive, then start loading up programs on it.
Any assistance and or comments are appreciated.

I do not doubt that I will get at least 1 person who will ask "Why do you want to do this?"

That's ok. The answer is: It's just something I would like to try.

Steven Smile

__________________

Steven (gsmcten)

"Apple ][.....It's ALIVE!!!!!"

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Offline
Joined: May 27 2009
Posts: 922
Re: The 1 Gig IDE Drive to CFFA 3000 Project

Maybe the info on page 10 of the manual is useful? I'm not un-drunk yet so maybe I try tomorrow.

__________________

On a clear disk you can seek forever..

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 4 2005
Posts: 2609
Re: The 1 Gig IDE Drive to CFFA 3000 Project

Keatah Said:

Quote:

Maybe the info on page 10 of the manual is useful?

Are you talking about the CFFA 3000 Manual?

Steven Smile

__________________

Steven (gsmcten)

"Apple ][.....It's ALIVE!!!!!"

speedyG's picture
Offline
Joined: Nov 16 2011
Posts: 2376
Re: The 1 Gig IDE Drive to CFFA 3000 Project

Hello Steven,
well there are several points to pay attention to, while solcing this task......
let´s do a walk through step by step....
1 ) if you don´t know what has been on that harddisk before ( but i guess it has been used at a PC )
then you will have to prepare that drive for use with the CFFA before you hook it to the controller...
- if it has been used at PC then the track 0 of the drive is prepered for use with MS-DOS and FAT or FAT32
but at the PC it´s not exactly same like st the CFFA - so first recommendation:
perform at a PC a so called "low level format". At older PC´s you may do that within the PC-Setup when entering
that mode by del or F1 ( in most cases the computer tells you which key must be used at startup display ...
"to enter setup hit XXXX" ) - if your PC has no "low level format" option the you must download one from internet
like "maxllf.exe" or something sinilar from old "Seagate Utilities Disk". This procedure sets back the drive to
"unused delivery condition" with no partitions and nothing prepared for MS-DOS.

2) Using 2 diskdrives and the harddisk together at the Apple will push the powersupply very close to it´s limits or beyond.... the normal powersupply only gives maximum of 1,5 Ampere at 12 Volt and most old IDE drives pull constantly
0,7 to 0,8 Ampere at the 12 Volt line.... this will get your powersupply very hot... so you should keep the toplid lifted for better ventilation or you should use an Apple that is equipped with "heavy duty power supply" the delivers 2,0 or 2,5 Ampere at the 12 Volt branch.....

3 ) Alternate you may use an external powersupply for the harddisk drive... in that case it is recommended that the 0 Volt line is in connection with the grounding of the Apple II which is also connected to the 0 Volt and by that keeping sure that both units ( the Apple II and the harddisk drive with it´s external power operate at the same grounding. If you are not sure please ask here.... and i will send you picture how to make sure connection of the groundline.

4. When performing Startup of both units - first startup the harddisk and permit it to get time for spinning up to normal speed... ( 5 to 10 seconds ) and then second switch the Apple II power on to powerup the Apple....
then enter the CFFA Utilities and select the device ( in this case the harddisk ) and use the partitioning utilities from the CFFA and when the partitions are completed give each partition a unique name....
you should start first with the DOS 3.3 partitions and then continue with the proDOS partitions.

5. When partitioning is complete you may start formatting the partitions - again using the Utilities from the CFFA....

BEFORE YOU START THIS TASKS YOU SHOULD READ THE ENTIRE CFFA MANUAL, to become familiar with the card and the software... ( as far as i remember there will be several limitations to the amount of partitions within the CFFA !
read about it before "driving the car into the wall ... !" )
sincerely speedyG

__________________

In early days I had a lot of money but no time - now I have no money but a lot of time....
the second part includes less friends but a lot more joy on life....

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 4 2005
Posts: 2609
Re: The 1 Gig IDE Drive to CFFA 3000 Project

Speedy,

All points covered.

Speedy Said:

Quote:

3 ) Alternate you may use an external powersupply for the harddisk drive... in that case it is recommended that the 0 Volt line is in connection with the grounding of the Apple II which is also connected to the 0 Volt and by that keeping sure that both units ( the Apple II and the harddisk drive with it´s external power operate at the same grounding. If you are not sure please ask here.... and i will send you picture how to make sure connection of the groundline.

I am using an external power supply for the drive.

Yes... I will take you up on that Speedy, as I would not like to go through all of this just to have things "burn up" when I'm finally almost there. lol

Steven Smile

__________________

Steven (gsmcten)

"Apple ][.....It's ALIVE!!!!!"

speedyG's picture
Offline
Joined: Nov 16 2011
Posts: 2376
Re: The 1 Gig IDE Drive to CFFA 3000 Project

gsmcten wrote:

Speedy,

All points covered.

Speedy Said:

Quote:

3 ) Alternate you may use an external powersupply for the harddisk drive... in that case it is recommended that the 0 Volt line is in connection with the grounding of the Apple II which is also connected to the 0 Volt and by that keeping sure that both units ( the Apple II and the harddisk drive with it´s external power operate at the same grounding. If you are not sure please ask here.... and i will send you picture how to make sure connection of the groundline.

I am using an external power supply for the drive.

Yes... I will take you up on that Speedy, as I would not like to go through all of this just to have things "burn up" when I'm finally almost there. lol

Steven Smile

Hello Steven,

i have sent you a PDF file by email with the required information....
hope it´s clear to understand...
in case any kind of question rises up please answer the mail...

sincerely speedyG

__________________

In early days I had a lot of money but no time - now I have no money but a lot of time....
the second part includes less friends but a lot more joy on life....