ADTPro, IIgs and SSC

7 replies [Last post]
subliminal67's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 13 2011
Posts: 25

So, I'll set the stage:

I have a IIgs that I wanted to push floppies to from my MacBook. I have a db9-db25 straight through serial cable. I can connect said cable to my mac via a usb-serial adapter. It has worked previously with my IIe. I placed a SSC in the IIgs in slot 2, set the control panel to "your card" and rebooted into GS/OS. I quit GS/OS going into BASIC, typing IN#2, Control-A, 14B. I pushed ADTPro to the IIgs, IIgs responded with code on the screen scrolling. ADTPro started just fine, but I couldn't select any option as the IIgs keyboard had quit working. I also tried booting into ProDOS via a floppy and it responded the same way. Kind of out of the norm set up, but I thought it would work much the same way that the IIe did. I suppose throwing the ADB keyboard in the mix might have botched things up.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
magnusfalkirk's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 18 2007
Posts: 269
Re: ADTPro, IIgs and SSC

I'm using ADTPro on a IIGS and having no problems. Like you I originally used it with a SSC until I got a cable from David Schmidt to hook to the serial port on the GS. Sorry I can't give you any clue as to the problem but I thought I'd at least let you know it will work.

Dean

__________________

Think Different - Apple II Forever!

subliminal67's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 13 2011
Posts: 25
Re: ADTPro, IIgs and SSC

Guess I will have to make a din8 to db9 serial cable Big smile

Offline
Joined: Apr 11 2006
Posts: 1013
Re: ADTPro, IIgs and SSC

subliminal67 wrote:

I have a IIgs that I wanted to push floppies to from my MacBook. I have a db9-db25 straight through serial cable. I can connect said cable to my mac via a usb-serial adapter. It has worked previously with my IIe. I placed a SSC in the IIgs in slot 2, set the control panel to "your card" and rebooted into GS/OS.

With the straight-through serial cable, make sure the jumper block is pointing down like this:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/images/ss1.jpg

subliminal67 wrote:

I quit GS/OS going into BASIC

You don't want to do that... you want to just boot into ProDOS with the 8 key when you first turn the machine on.

subliminal67 wrote:

I pushed ADTPro to the IIgs, IIgs responded with code on the screen scrolling. ADTPro started just fine, but I couldn't select any option as the IIgs keyboard had quit working. I also tried booting into ProDOS via a floppy and it responded the same way.

This is strange. Something is definitely wrong.

subliminal67 wrote:

Kind of out of the norm set up, but I thought it would work much the same way that the IIe did.

It's not out of the norm - that's how I started when I wrote the IIgs support for ADTPro. I started with a SSC to transfer the code over to the IIgs to test the native serial port. It works fine that both ways. And for an SSC... it does work exactly the same way the IIe does. Make sure you are selecting "SSC SLOT 2" in ADTPro rather than the IIgs serial port. ADTPro will try to use the native port by default, unless you tell it otherwise.

subliminal67 wrote:

I suppose throwing the ADB keyboard in the mix might have botched things up.

Nope, that's not the isseue.

subliminal67 wrote:

Guess I will have to make a din8 to db9 serial cable Big smile

Yes, you definitely want to do that. Use the serial port the way it's intended.

subliminal67's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 13 2011
Posts: 25
Re: ADTPro, IIgs and SSC

Thanks David! Great tip for booting into ProDOS, didn't know you could do that. I got out one of my IIe's to push some disks to, but I will use your suggestions for the IIgs.

subliminal67's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 13 2011
Posts: 25
Re: ADTPro, IIgs and SSC

If I build a cable for this, are these pinouts correct?

Mini Din 8 to DB 9 Cable

Offline
Joined: Apr 11 2006
Posts: 1013
Re: ADTPro, IIgs and SSC

Look no further than the ADTPro page...
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/connectionsserial.html#MiniDIN8

subliminal67's picture
Offline
Joined: Jun 13 2011
Posts: 25
Re: ADTPro, IIgs and SSC

Sweeeeet! Thanks again! So, I tried again using your suggestion of booting into ProDOS, and it worked like a charm. ADTPro also see's my Focus Drive CF card partitions. Very cool!