THIS is Laughable!

2610 replies [Last post]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Offline
Joined: Apr 14 2006
Posts: 36
Re: THIS is Laughable!

1978AppleII wrote:
jwg1962 wrote:

OMG! I didn't even think to check that. That's wild.

Riddle me this, what is so valuable about the UniDisk drives. (Other than they are the only drives that work with the LiRon card, they have their own cpu in it, it's white, ....)

I guess I am not seeing what is making these worth 400.00 each? Am I missing something?

A friend (Hi Zach!) says that the unidisk allows you to pretty much read/write any 3.5" format, including msdos 1.44.

So moving files between a modern system and old system via that mechanism apparently is the awesome sauce.

Jennifer

I'm not sure that this is possible. The UniDisks are an 800k mechanism (the same mechanism in the later Apple 3.5" drive) but with a "smart" interface - that is, they have there own CPU controller (kind of like the C64 floppy drives). They are the only drive that will work on a ROM 1+ //c (not ROM 0), and will work on a II/II+/IIe with a Liron controller, or a IIgs floppy port. On a IIgs however, you are better off with the newer Apple 3.5" drive (A9M0106) as they are much faster.

The only way I've read that you can read 1.44Mb MSDos disks on any Apple II is on an Apple IIgs with a Superdrive controller and a HD floppy drive (Superdrive) and the MSDos FST loaded in GSOS.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know how he has managed to achieve this! Puzzled

The reason I think that they are priced the way they are is that there are far fewer of them in comparison to other drives, and that they can be used universally across the Apple II line with the right controller. Still, I ain't paying $400 for one - that's just nuts IMHO. Especially when very little software was made available to the older 8 bit machines in 3.5" floppy format.

Cheers,
Mike

stynx's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 19 2012
Posts: 182
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Polymorph69 wrote:

The only way I've read that you can read 1.44Mb MSDos disks on any Apple II is on an Apple IIgs with a Superdrive controller and a HD floppy drive (Superdrive) and the MSDos FST loaded in GSOS.

There was the BlueDisk controller with a 34pin for PC Floppies and 2.88mb support as well Smile This controller cannot read the GCR (400k/800k) floppies though.

-Jonas

1978AppleII's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 5 2015
Posts: 194
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Polymorph69 wrote:
1978AppleII wrote:
jwg1962 wrote:

OMG! I didn't even think to check that. That's wild.

Riddle me this, what is so valuable about the UniDisk drives. (Other than they are the only drives that work with the LiRon card, they have their own cpu in it, it's white, ....)

I guess I am not seeing what is making these worth 400.00 each? Am I missing something?

A friend (Hi Zach!) says that the unidisk allows you to pretty much read/write any 3.5" format, including msdos 1.44.

So moving files between a modern system and old system via that mechanism apparently is the awesome sauce.

Jennifer

I'm not sure that this is possible. The UniDisks are an 800k mechanism (the same mechanism in the later Apple 3.5" drive) but with a "smart" interface - that is, they have there own CPU controller (kind of like the C64 floppy drives). They are the only drive that will work on a ROM 1+ //c (not ROM 0), and will work on a II/II+/IIe with a Liron controller, or a IIgs floppy port. On a IIgs however, you are better off with the newer Apple 3.5" drive (A9M0106) as they are much faster.

The only way I've read that you can read 1.44Mb MSDos disks on any Apple II is on an Apple IIgs with a Superdrive controller and a HD floppy drive (Superdrive) and the MSDos FST loaded in GSOS.

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know how he has managed to achieve this! Puzzled

The reason I think that they are priced the way they are is that there are far fewer of them in comparison to other drives, and that they can be used universally across the Apple II line with the right controller. Still, I ain't paying $400 for one - that's just nuts IMHO. Especially when very little software was made available to the older 8 bit machines in 3.5" floppy format.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike.

Yeah, I dunno. Perhaps he is mistaken then.

I've never tried to go that route, so don't know for sure. My "go to" is copying disk images to my BMOW and then using that to move data back and forth.

Jennifer

__________________

Long time Apple fan girl Smile

PINKBOY1006's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 9 2016
Posts: 83
Re: THIS is Laughable!
__________________

My collection is: Apple IIGS Woz Rom 01 (cards installed: Uthernet II, Sandwich II card, Apple Video Overlay Card, Visionary GS), Apple IIc Rom 0 (Cards installed: Mocking board 4C), Apple modem 1200 (under the phone version), Apple personal modem, Apple imagewriter ii.

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 4 2005
Posts: 2609
Re: THIS is Laughable!

PinkBoy:

They're trying to make someone pay at least double
for the Transwarp Card.

They just might get $850.00 to $1000.00, but not more.

Just my opinion...

Steven Smile

__________________

Steven (gsmcten)

"Apple ][.....It's ALIVE!!!!!"

PINKBOY1006's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 9 2016
Posts: 83
Re: THIS is Laughable!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112600575055 $40 For a utility diskette.

__________________

My collection is: Apple IIGS Woz Rom 01 (cards installed: Uthernet II, Sandwich II card, Apple Video Overlay Card, Visionary GS), Apple IIc Rom 0 (Cards installed: Mocking board 4C), Apple modem 1200 (under the phone version), Apple personal modem, Apple imagewriter ii.

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 4 2005
Posts: 2609
Re: THIS is Laughable!

That's james9.55.

He's kind of new to eBay and Apple II items.

I've been telling him that some of his items are way too high.

Steven Smile

__________________

Steven (gsmcten)

"Apple ][.....It's ALIVE!!!!!"

macnoyd's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 15 2012
Posts: 219
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Does anyone need a mouse interface for an Apple ][?
Geez, and it doesn't even come with a mouse! Ha!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272894939459

__________________

macnoyd

Dog Cow's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 11 2008
Posts: 462
Re: THIS is Laughable!

macnoyd wrote:

Does anyone need a mouse interface for an Apple ][?
Geez, and it doesn't even come with a mouse! Ha!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272894939459

Look at the seller's location.... Wink

__________________

Email me: dog_cow@m acgui.com
Mac GUI Vault: http://macgui.com/vault/
Apple II Book: http://macgui.com/newa2guide/
Inside Allerton Park book

Offline
Joined: May 23 2013
Posts: 100
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Dog Cow wrote:
macnoyd wrote:

Does anyone need a mouse interface for an Apple ][?
Geez, and it doesn't even come with a mouse! Ha!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272894939459

Look at the seller's location.... Wink

What about the location??