Market for Mockingboard Replica?

7 replies [Last post]
cbmeeks's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 17 2005
Posts: 56

I know original vintage Mockingboards are sought after. I've built my own in the past based on the Bill Garber design. There really isn't much to it.

So, I was wondering...is there still a market for clone Mockingboards in 2017/18? I know that Kim guy has one for the IIc that looks pretty cool. But I'm talking about for the IIe.

I'm itching to build and produce a card for the IIe but I'd like other people to benefit too.

Also, what are your opinions on emulating the AY-3-8910 chips instead of using the same thing? What if the emulation was dang near 100% perfect?

I welcome your opinions. Smile

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
stynx's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 19 2012
Posts: 183
Re: Market for Mockingboard Replica?

A 'clone' of the MCMS would be more interesting or implementing a Mockingboard clone with more features (fm).

The YM2203C has a PSG AND a 3 channel FM synthesizer ... fully software compatible to the AY3-891x.
For the spectrum there were made some similar adaptions
http://velesoft.speccy.cz/turbosound-cz.htm

I have tested the YMF288 since it has 1 PSG (AY3-891x), 2x YM2203C and a simple percussion generator (6 channel rompler)
https://soundcloud.com/vintage-micro-music/sets/bmos

Smile

1978AppleII's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 5 2015
Posts: 200
Re: Market for Mockingboard Replica?

cbmeeks wrote:

I know original vintage Mockingboards are sought after. I've built my own in the past based on the Bill Garber design. There really isn't much to it.

So, I was wondering...is there still a market for clone Mockingboards in 2017/18? I know that Kim guy has one for the IIc that looks pretty cool. But I'm talking about for the IIe.

I'm itching to build and produce a card for the IIe but I'd like other people to benefit too.

Also, what are your opinions on emulating the AY-3-8910 chips instead of using the same thing? What if the emulation was dang near 100% perfect?

I welcome your opinions. Smile

I know a couple of folks who would love to get a Mockingboard - they don't seem to turn up very often on eBay or other sales sites.

Jennifer

__________________

Long time Apple fan girl Smile

c0op3r's picture
Offline
Joined: Nov 11 2016
Posts: 45
Re: Market for Mockingboard Replica?

There is one on eBay right now, I have not seen this model before:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-II-Mockingboard-SSP-2000-Sweet-Micro-Systems-Stereo-interface-card-/112590551169?hash=item1a36eb7881:g:ADkAAOSwOrxZ1nNu

I personally think the seller wants a little too much for a board that does not have the needed cables.

stynx's picture
Offline
Joined: Apr 19 2012
Posts: 183
Re: Market for Mockingboard Replica?

Plamen from http://a2heaven.com seems to be developing a universal music card that supports mockingbird, Phasor, ALF MC1, Echo+ and S.A.M. (simple DAC)
https://www.facebook.com/a2heaven/posts/507263776300980

-Jonas

cbmeeks's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 17 2005
Posts: 56
Re: Market for Mockingboard Replica?

stynx wrote:

Plamen from http://a2heaven.com seems to be developing a universal music card that supports mockingbird, Phasor, ALF MC1, Echo+ and S.A.M. (simple DAC)
https://www.facebook.com/a2heaven/posts/507263776300980

-Jonas

Is there any more information on this card other than what is on FaceBook? I have a real gripe with FB and try very hard not to visit it. Smile

Thanks.

c0op3r's picture
Offline
Joined: Nov 11 2016
Posts: 45
Re: Market for Mockingboard Replica?

Quote:

Is there any more information on this card other than what is on FaceBook? I have a real gripe with FB and try very hard not to visit it. Smile

Thanks.

Seems a lot of people here feel the same way about Fb. What I can tell you is this and i quote from Plamen I asked if he could send me a photo of the prototype board

Quote:

Yes , i send picture of the test pcb after i return in office , I not make yet audio PCB , i use for test FASTChip PCB with many wires to test idea , Audio card emulation is based on FPGA emulation and not use real audio chips .

cbmeeks's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 17 2005
Posts: 56
Re: Market for Mockingboard Replica?

c0op3r wrote:
Quote:

Is there any more information on this card other than what is on FaceBook? I have a real gripe with FB and try very hard not to visit it. Smile

Thanks.

Seems a lot of people here feel the same way about Fb. What I can tell you is this and i quote from Plamen I asked if he could send me a photo of the prototype board

Quote:

Yes , i send picture of the test pcb after i return in office , I not make yet audio PCB , i use for test FASTChip PCB with many wires to test idea , Audio card emulation is based on FPGA emulation and not use real audio chips .

Ah, cool! That tells me a lot actually. I've really been tinkering around with doing a Mockingboard clone myself using some emulation. I do have an interesting "twist" on my version, however. But, it's really been hard for me to start considering there are now a few options for Mockingboards. Yet, they never seem to be in stock. Undecided