Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

17 replies [Last post]
pipboy344's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2016
Posts: 5

I have an early one and I've been reading about the benefits of an Enhanced chip set.

__________________

I watch television with an antenna

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Offline
Joined: May 27 2013
Posts: 794
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

Since the new version of ProDOS it's not as necessary but I suppose you need to do so to run ProTERM...

MarkO's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2011
Posts: 667
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink

MarkO

pipboy344's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2016
Posts: 5
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink

MarkO

Cost me $200 for this one.

__________________

I watch television with an antenna

Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 359
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

I would. There’s very little software that won’t run on an Enhanced IIe but quite a few more that won't run on an unenhanced IIe

MarkO's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2011
Posts: 667
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

pipboy344 wrote:
MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink

MarkO

Cost me $200 for this one.

What ALL did you get with it???

MarkO

Dog Cow's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 11 2008
Posts: 464
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink

MarkO

I second that. IIRC I've seen people selling enhancement kits for around the same cost of a full machine.

Wait around until you find a price you like.

__________________

Email me: dog_cow@m acgui.com
Mac GUI Vault: http://macgui.com/vault/
Apple II Book: http://macgui.com/newa2guide/
Inside Allerton Park book

Offline
Joined: May 27 2009
Posts: 936
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink MarkO

Why that route?

__________________

On a clear disk you can seek forever..

pipboy344's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2016
Posts: 5
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

MarkO wrote:
pipboy344 wrote:
MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink

MarkO

Cost me $200 for this one.

What ALL did you get with it???

MarkO

Early painted case/white letter keyboard IIe, Monitor II, two working Disk II, Super Serial Card, Extended 80-Column Text Card, and three floppies the guy had lying around which were copies of The Lurking Horror, Pac-Man, and Zork I

__________________

I watch television with an antenna

Eudimorphodon's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 21 2003
Posts: 1204
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

Keatah wrote:
MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink MarkO

Why that route?

Because non-enhanced //e's are relatively rare while the others are, as computers that old go, dirt common. Why ruin the "collectors value" of the early rare model when it's probably both easier and cheaper to get a second unit as a work-a-day machine?

Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 359
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

Can't comment on cost of one vs the other but if you do the upgrade then just tape the old 6502 and ROMs to the top of the power supply or some other place inside the case. Then they never get separated

Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2008
Posts: 210
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

Aren't we just talking about an EPROM and a 65c02?

__________________

-
Peter Rittwage
Apple II/II+ Registry - Register yours today!
http://diskpreservation.com/dp.php?pg=apple_registry

MarkO's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2011
Posts: 667
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

rittwage wrote:

Aren't we just talking about an EPROM and a 65c02?

Three EPROMs and the 65C02..

MarkO

MarkO's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2011
Posts: 667
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

Keatah wrote:
MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink MarkO

Why that route?

1) So you can have an Original White Key, Apple ][e, as it was, BITD.. ( and for Software that doesn't like the 65C02 )

2) So you can have a newer Black Key, Enhanced Apple //e, for all the Software that needs the Enhanced ROMs and 65C02..

3) So they Won't be Lonely, by themselves..

4) So you can be classified as a Power Collector.

5) You Know you Want To!!

MarkO

MarkO's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2011
Posts: 667
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

pipboy344 wrote:
MarkO wrote:
pipboy344 wrote:
MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink

MarkO

Cost me $200 for this one.

What ALL did you get with it???

MarkO

Early painted case/white letter keyboard IIe, Monitor II, two working Disk II, Super Serial Card, Extended 80-Column Text Card, and three floppies the guy had lying around which were copies of The Lurking Horror, Pac-Man, and Zork I

Even $200.00, plus Shipping would be worth while.. If that Included Shipping, you got an excellent Deal... ( allowing for Today's Prices.. )

MarkO

MarkO's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2011
Posts: 667
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

Wayne wrote:

Can't comment on cost of one vs the other but if you do the upgrade then just tape the old 6502 and ROMs to the top of the power supply or some other place inside the case. Then they never get separated

Someone use to make a Board to let you install Both sets of ROM, and Switch between them...

I believe there is even a modern version of that board..

MarkO

pipboy344's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2016
Posts: 5
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

MarkO wrote:
pipboy344 wrote:
MarkO wrote:
pipboy344 wrote:
MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink

MarkO

Cost me $200 for this one.

What ALL did you get with it???

MarkO

Early painted case/white letter keyboard IIe, Monitor II, two working Disk II, Super Serial Card, Extended 80-Column Text Card, and three floppies the guy had lying around which were copies of The Lurking Horror, Pac-Man, and Zork I

Even $200.00, plus Shipping would be worth while.. If that Included Shipping, you got an excellent Deal... ( allowing for Today's Prices.. )

MarkO

Wasn't shipped. Guy was on Craigslist, we met in a GameStop parking lot. Power light needs a new bulb but it was otherwise fine.

__________________

I watch television with an antenna

MarkO's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 10 2011
Posts: 667
Re: Should I get a (repro) enhancement kit for my IIe?

pipboy344 wrote:
MarkO wrote:
pipboy344 wrote:
MarkO wrote:
pipboy344 wrote:
MarkO wrote:

I would get a Second //e, with the Enhancement already Inside.. Wink

MarkO

Cost me $200 for this one.

What ALL did you get with it???

MarkO

Early painted case/white letter keyboard IIe, Monitor II, two working Disk II, Super Serial Card, Extended 80-Column Text Card, and three floppies the guy had lying around which were copies of The Lurking Horror, Pac-Man, and Zork I

Even $200.00, plus Shipping would be worth while.. If that Included Shipping, you got an excellent Deal... ( allowing for Today's Prices.. )

MarkO

Wasn't shipped. Guy was on Craigslist, we met in a GameStop parking lot. Power light needs a new bulb but it was otherwise fine.

Excellent!!! I would have paid $200.00 for it...

If you are willing to "shop around", you might have got all of that for a little bit less, but for a complete Package your all set...

MarkO