Kiwi should just be about iPod problems

11 replies [Last post]
Hawaii Cruiser's picture
Offline
Joined: Jan 20 2005
Posts: 1434

I usually check the recent posts on Applefritter daily, but very rarely check Kiwi. I don't own an iPod. From what I can see, it seems the posts on Kiwi must be about 90% about iPod/iTunes related problems, and I suspect other regulars to Applefritter go bleary eyed like me when they see the recent posts on Kiwi. I really couldn't care less about iPod problems, so I don't go there. What happens to the Mac hardware problems on that site? I'm not seeing them. I don't know, are they getting attention over there? I'd be hesitant to post a hardware problem there. I don't think it would get much attention. Seems like the Kiwi site should just be abandoned to iPod/iTunes problems only so the Mac problems don't get lost amongst them.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
MaxTek's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 702
Re: Kiwi should just be about iPod problems

Hawaii Cruiser wrote:

I usually check the recent posts on Applefritter daily, but I'd be hesitant to post a hardware problem there. I don't think it would get much attention. Seems like the Kiwi site should just be abandoned to iPod/iTunes problems only so the Mac problems don't get lost amongst them.

I couldn't be in agreement any more!

themike's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 21 2004
Posts: 455
Same here. Every time I go to

Same here. Every time I go to check Kiwi and see "OMG PLZ HLP I-POD MESST UP!!!!!111!!" I just leave.
I'm sorry...but I have no sympathy for people who can't type and don't bother searching the forums.

__________________

dream it, think it, feel it, be it

cwsmith's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 13 2005
Posts: 699
I really do feel for people (

I really do feel for people (esp newbies) who are having troubles with their new equipment. But it seems that of those 90% ipod posts, 90% of those are "my stupid ipod isn't working WTF WTF WTF [no indication of OS, iPod version, iTunes version, what they've done up to now]," posted by "ijustsigneduptwominutesago."

I used to reply to a lot of these posts asking these very questions. But no one can keep up with eight or ten a day. And it's exhausting and thankless to try.

My feeling is that posts like this [without enough information to even approach answering the questions raised] should be deleted by a mod or admin. Maybe then those intelligent enough to give us enough details to help will manage to get their questions answered.

__________________

Dozens of Macs; a handful of PCs; Apple ][e, ][c and ][gs; a few iPods; lots of parts
17 guitars, 2 baritone guitars, alto guitar, 6 bass guitars, bajo sexto, 3 ukuleles, mandolin, banjo, sitar
3/4 scale upright bass, 4pc drum kit, congas, travel congas, bongos, cajon, cabasa, 12 harmonicas
http://www.cwsmith.fmhttp://www.facebook.com/cwsmith2620

Offline
Joined: Jan 28 2005
Posts: 170
Maybe rather than using the c

Maybe rather than using the current new topic style form an OS, iTunes version, or whatever form could be used.

themike's picture
Offline
Joined: Jul 21 2004
Posts: 455
I just went over to Kiwi, and

I just went over to Kiwi, and spent a while looking over some recent posts. Most do seem to be about iPods, and most seem to be about software, rather than hardware.
I'm thinking some sort of FAQ put together by someone who knows about iPods- I would but I know nothing about 'em.
Oh, and I like the idea of a form for the question post- all necessary info would be required to post, along with some info so even a complete noob would be able to determine this information.

__________________

dream it, think it, feel it, be it

BDub's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 706
Re: Kiwi should just be about iPod problems

Hawaii Cruiser wrote:

What happens to the Mac hardware problems on that site? I'm not seeing them. I don't know, are they getting attention over there? I'd be hesitant to post a hardware problem there. I don't think it would get much attention.

You might consider posting it in Hardware Repair Help, a forum in the main Applefritter forum index.

cwsmith wrote:

My feeling is that posts like this [without enough information to even approach answering the questions raised] should be deleted by a mod or admin. Maybe then those intelligent enough to give us enough details to help will manage to get their questions answered.

Check out the Kiwi main page which contains a set of posting tips. It's pretty blunt in saying that if you don't give details, your question likely won't be answered. I'd personally rather leave the threads open and hope that the folks will add enough details to get help rather than just deleting them.

fynch wrote:

Maybe rather than using the current new topic style form an OS, iTunes version, or whatever form could be used.

That's an excellent idea. I do not have time to implement it.

themike wrote:

I just went over to Kiwi, and spent a while looking over some recent posts. Most do seem to be about iPods, and most seem to be about software, rather than hardware.
I'm thinking some sort of FAQ put together by someone who knows about iPods- I would but I know nothing about 'em.

When we put together Kiwi, we tried to find the best FAQ sources we could, including Apple's own iPod FAQ. These are prominently linked on the right sidebar.

__________________

"There is going to be a future: let's chase it until it kills us." - Spider Robinson

cwsmith's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 13 2005
Posts: 699
Re: I just went over to Kiwi, and

themike wrote:

I'm thinking some sort of FAQ put together by someone who knows about iPods

Unfortunately most would be about as likely to read the FAQ as they are to read the EULA on software they install ...

__________________

Dozens of Macs; a handful of PCs; Apple ][e, ][c and ][gs; a few iPods; lots of parts
17 guitars, 2 baritone guitars, alto guitar, 6 bass guitars, bajo sexto, 3 ukuleles, mandolin, banjo, sitar
3/4 scale upright bass, 4pc drum kit, congas, travel congas, bongos, cajon, cabasa, 12 harmonicas
http://www.cwsmith.fmhttp://www.facebook.com/cwsmith2620

doug-doug the mighty's picture
Joined: Apr 14 2004
Posts: 1355
Re: Kiwi should just be about iPod problems

BDub wrote:
fynch wrote:

Maybe rather than using the current new topic style form an OS, iTunes version, or whatever form could be used.

That's an excellent idea. I do not have time to implement it.

I like the idea of a questionaire type form to get better facts from people before they can post a "help me please" problem. I also recognize that this is not a quick and easy task to do.

Still being unemployed, I have TONS of time on my hands when not job hunting, being Mr. Mom, or trying to finish off the basement. What I lack is good web skills.

Mods: What would this type of questionaire be best coded in? VB? HTML? Java? something else?

Let me know and I will see if I can take a crack at it. If nothing else, I could at least draw up the draft of questions and possible answers/choices for someone use as a guide. I might be able to get a first cut in HTML if nothing else - surely this would be a help to get it started.

__________________

--DDTM ('Fritter Critter' since Apr 26 2004 - 18:16)

'If it ain't broke, take it apart anyways. If you can't take it apart, break it so that you can fix it.'

BDub's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 706
Re: Kiwi should just be about iPod problems

doug-doug the mighty wrote:

I like the idea of a questionaire type form to get better facts from people before they can post a "help me please" problem. I also recognize that this is not a quick and easy task to do.

Still being unemployed, I have TONS of time on my hands when not job hunting, being Mr. Mom, or trying to finish off the basement. What I lack is good web skills.

Mods: What would this type of questionaire be best coded in? VB? HTML? Java? something else?

PHP/HTML mods of Drupals forum.module component. I'll happily drop you a copy of the modified version we use for Kiwi if you want to have a quick look around. The email you've got in your profile is ok for that?

__________________

"There is going to be a future: let's chase it until it kills us." - Spider Robinson

doug-doug the mighty's picture
Joined: Apr 14 2004
Posts: 1355
Re: Kiwi should just be about iPod problems

BDub wrote:

...The email you've got in your profile is ok for that?

Absolutely.

Thx!

__________________

--DDTM ('Fritter Critter' since Apr 26 2004 - 18:16)

'If it ain't broke, take it apart anyways. If you can't take it apart, break it so that you can fix it.'