SAFARI and msnbc.com

6 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 6

recently, when i go to msnbc.com (via bookmark or typing URL) i get the following SAFARI error:

[=Red]Safari can’t open the page “http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

__________________

elSarge.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
crosby_sb's picture
Offline
Joined: Feb 20 2004
Posts: 34
Try updating panther to 10.3.

Try updating panther to 10.3.3? Anyway it doesn't work with me either, I would try microsoft internet exploror, or netscape, or anything else.
Crosby Cool Mac Mac OS

__________________

Crosby

“The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.

Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 49
Indeed, I can load the front

Indeed, I can load the front page, but I get the same error as you when I try to open a story. My primary browser (Mozilla FireFox) doesn't even load the front page. I would guess it's msnbc having their own problems and it's not a compatibility issue.

__________________

http://ek9hatch.tripod.com

tmtomh's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 568
workin' fine for me here. May

workin' fine for me here. Maybe they had a problem and it's now fixed?

Matt

rivetboy's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 24
It's a User Agent issue

The way to get around this is to change the User Agent setting in the Debug menu in Safari. What Debug menu, you ask?

Type the following command in Terminal (while Safari is NOT running):

% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Then launch Safari, and you'll notice a new Debug menu right after the Help menu. There's alot of nifty things you can do with it, not the least of which is to change the string that Safari gives to a web server that it uses to identify itself. More often than not, a "broken" website in Safari will work with no problems if I change the User Agent to report Safari to the web server as something else, such as "Windows MSIE 6.0" or "Mozilla 1.1".

"Automatically Chosen" means "Safari", and I recommend having it set to that by default, and only changing it after you've tried accessing the page with Safari. This way, the admins will be able to see that you tried accessing it with Safari and failed, and will hopefully realise that there's a problem and subsequently fix it. Of course, if it's because the admins hate Apple, then they're not likely to fix it.

Oh, and if you want to remove the Debug menu, do the same thing as above, except type "0" instead of "1".

Offline
Joined: Apr 28 2004
Posts: 1
User Agent doesn't seem to be the cause

I tried this for a problem to a page internal to our site. Changing user agents did not resolve the issue.

The post
http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/macpartners/2004-February/000380.html

seems to indicate it may be a problem with SSL renegotiation and the person reports:
"the [servers]
that don't work seem to be running Apache + openssl 0.9.6x OR IIS,
whereas the ones that work are running Apache + openssl 0.9.7."

rivetboy's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 24
Like I said; more often than

Like I said; more often than not. That would be one of those "not" times. Wink