Daylight Savings Time (March 11th) and Jaguar (10.2.8)

9 replies [Last post]
MaxTek's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 702

Since Jaguar was left out of Apple's Daylight Savings Time software updates is there a way to update the time on tons of iMacs on a college network? These iMacs are running 10.2.8 and do not have enough ram to support upgrading the operating system past Jaguar.

Is there a network application or trick that will update all the Date and Time preferences together instead of going to each iMac and doing it manually?

I already checked Apple's site and their recommendation is to do it manually on each mac.

Thanks.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Dr. Webster's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 19 2003
Posts: 1687
Are the machines set to sync

Are the machines set to sync to a time server? If so, then you don't need to do anything; they'll resync on their own and pick up the correct time. If they're not set to sync, then each machine is going to need to be updated by hand.

__________________

Applefritter Admin

madmax_2069's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 24 2005
Posts: 664
there is a tool for it here

there is a tool for it here

The Jaguar DST Update tool

BTW what are the specs of those iMac's

__________________

Beige G3 AIO,Yikes, Digital Audio, Performa 475, Newton MP 2100, Apple IIgs, HP D530 SFF, Wyse winterm 3360SE
http://www.Apple2online.com

MaxTek's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 702
Re: there is a tool for it here

madmax_2069 wrote:

there is a tool for it here

The Jaguar DST Update tool

BTW what are the specs of those iMac's

About half and half of 350mhz Indigo's and 500mhz Snow's. Unfortunately they only upgrade one mac at a time when the hard drives die or other internal components.

MaxTek's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 702
Re: Are the machines set to sync

Dr. Webster wrote:

Are the machines set to sync to a time server? If so, then you don't need to do anything; they'll resync on their own and pick up the correct time. If they're not set to sync, then each machine is going to need to be updated by hand.

I thought it didn't matter what time server they are synced to, without the DST update, the clocks would still be wrong. Isn't that why Apple created the updates for Panther and Tiger?

Dr. Webster's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 19 2003
Posts: 1687
Re: Are the machines set to sync

MaxTek wrote:
Dr. Webster wrote:

Are the machines set to sync to a time server? If so, then you don't need to do anything; they'll resync on their own and pick up the correct time. If they're not set to sync, then each machine is going to need to be updated by hand.

I thought it didn't matter what time server they are synced to, without the DST update, the clocks would still be wrong. Isn't that why Apple created the updates for Panther and Tiger?

I would assume they created the update for those users who don't use server time syncing. But I don't know for sure, I didn't program OS X, so I don't know if they wrote the time systems correctly or not.

__________________

Applefritter Admin

iamdigitalman's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2 2004
Posts: 629
Re: there is a tool for it here

madmax_2069 wrote:

there is a tool for it here

The Jaguar DST Update tool

BTW what are the specs of those iMac's

I tried running this on my WS, but it requires sudo, and for some reason, sudo is not working, no matter how many times I reinstall.

any thoughts? no gui program?

-digital Wink

Eudimorphodon's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 21 2003
Posts: 1204
Network Time Servers *won't save you*

Dr. Webster wrote:

I would assume they created the update for those users who don't use server time syncing. But I don't know for sure, I didn't program OS X, so I don't know if they wrote the time systems correctly or not.

Using a time server doesn't help you. NTP network time is based on UTC. Adjusting for local timezone is the host's responsibility. Thus you still need daylight savings updates for your OS. All NTP will do if you don't have them is continue to ensure that your machine is *exactly* an hour off.

(I've had to explain this *so* many times at work recently. "All our FreeBSD machines use NTP. So we don't need to patch them, right?". "Uhm, no. We do.")

--Peace

madmax_2069's picture
Offline
Joined: Sep 24 2005
Posts: 664
Re: there is a tool for it here

iamdigitalman wrote:
madmax_2069 wrote:

there is a tool for it here

The Jaguar DST Update tool

BTW what are the specs of those iMac's

I tried running this on my WS, but it requires sudo, and for some reason, sudo is not working, no matter how many times I reinstall.

any thoughts? no gui program?

-digital Wink

humm is there a way to contact the developer who made that to ask his opinion and maybe help.

__________________

Beige G3 AIO,Yikes, Digital Audio, Performa 475, Newton MP 2100, Apple IIgs, HP D530 SFF, Wyse winterm 3360SE
http://www.Apple2online.com

iamdigitalman's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2 2004
Posts: 629
it was actually having a prob

it was actually having a problem with any shell script or terminal command that required the sudo handle. apparently, something got messed up in the install. it was not displaying the "last login" and "welcome to darwin" bits as well. a reinstall fixed it, and now it works fine.

-digital Wink