I need OS 9 to boot

8 replies [Last post]
Offline
Joined: May 8 2007
Posts: 27

I just bought a 80 gig HD for my Wallstreet, I have system 9.0 on a CD for a IMAC. It will boot my Wallstreet and I can see the info inside but I can't copy because it says it's not made for that cpu.

What's up? This is the only CD I have. Will I have to buy another CD for Wallstreet?

Thanks.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Offline
Joined: Jan 14 2007
Posts: 208
Copy?

Hey,

I'm confused. What do you mean by "copy"?

William
www.williamahearn.com

cwsmith's picture
Offline
Joined: Oct 13 2005
Posts: 699
Re: I need OS 9 to boot

scheek wrote:

I just bought a 80 gig HD for my Wallstreet, I have system 9.0 on a CD for a IMAC. It will boot my Wallstreet and I can see the info inside but I can't copy because it says it's not made for that cpu.

What's up? This is the only CD I have. Will I have to buy another CD for Wallstreet?

Machine-specific Mac OS installers, like yours, will only install on the same model as the one they shipped with. Not only will your CD only work on an iMac, it's likely that it will only work on the same vintage iMac that the CD shipped with. Older and later models need not apply.

You'll need to round up a retail copy of Mac OS 9. This will be a white-labeled CD with a big orange "9" printed on it, and with no references made to "iMac," "iBook," "PowerBook," " or "Power Macintosh." Again, these machine-specific CDs will not install on your Wallstreet. Yes, it's a PowerBook, but it shipped with Mac OS 8.

Also worthy of note is that if you intend to install Mac OS X on your Wallstreet later on, it can only be installed on the first partition of 8GB or less. Plan ahead now and partition your drive into one 8GB partition and another of, say, 70MB. You can use the smaller partition for your system(s) and applications, and the larger one for your iTunes library, iPhoto library, and other documents.

Finally, you don't copy the OS from the CD. You'll need to install it using the "Install Mac OS" icon. This may be self-explanatory, but the way you phrased your first paragraph compelled me to point it out.

__________________

Dozens of Macs; a handful of PCs; Apple ][e, ][c and ][gs; a few iPods; lots of parts
17 guitars, 2 baritone guitars, alto guitar, 6 bass guitars, bajo sexto, 3 ukuleles, mandolin, banjo, sitar
3/4 scale upright bass, 4pc drum kit, congas, travel congas, bongos, cajon, cabasa, 12 harmonicas
http://www.cwsmith.fmhttp://www.facebook.com/cwsmith2620

Offline
Joined: May 8 2007
Posts: 27
Thanks NOW new problem

While trying to load a new system I had to reset several times. Now the chime will not work and the cpu will not even boot. If I do a reset the green light flashes once. Usually that will work and the second time I hit start it will chime and boot. Not it's a dead animal. I've even put the old drive back in but no boot.

What the heck did I do? or what is happening now?

Thanks

GEOS's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 334
Re: I need OS 9 to boot

cwsmith wrote:
scheek wrote:

I just bought a 80 gig HD for my Wallstreet, I have system 9.0 on a CD for a IMAC. It will boot my Wallstreet and I can see the info inside but I can't copy because it says it's not made for that cpu.

What's up? This is the only CD I have. Will I have to buy another CD for Wallstreet?

Machine-specific Mac OS installers, like yours, will only install on the same model as the one they shipped with. Not only will your CD only work on an iMac, it's likely that it will only work on the same vintage iMac that the CD shipped with. Older and later models need not apply.

You'll need to round up a retail copy of Mac OS 9. This will be a white-labeled CD with a big orange "9" printed on it, and with no references made to "iMac," "iBook," "PowerBook," " or "Power Macintosh." Again, these machine-specific CDs will not install on your Wallstreet. Yes, it's a PowerBook, but it shipped with Mac OS 8.

Also worthy of note is that if you intend to install Mac OS X on your Wallstreet later on, it can only be installed on the first partition of 8GB or less. Plan ahead now and partition your drive into one 8GB partition and another of, say, 70MB. You can use the smaller partition for your system(s) and applications, and the larger one for your iTunes library, iPhoto library, and other documents.

Finally, you don't copy the OS from the CD. You'll need to install it using the "Install Mac OS" icon. This may be self-explanatory, but the way you phrased your first paragraph compelled me to point it out.

Hmm, I don't know about that. I've used iMac install CD's for Mac OS 9 on my Powermacs, Powerbook, iBook, and other old Macs. It sounds to me like there is a hardware problem somewhere. I don't think Apple really started making machine spacific install disks until OS X. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it wasn't until about 10.3 until I finally got a machine spacific disc.

__________________

Oh, Hazel, look. The field! It's covered in blood

Quad 2.5 G5, MBP 2.6 17", DP 2.7 G5, Mini 2.33, MBP 2.16 CD, DP 2.0 G5, DP 1.42 MDD, 17” PowerBook 1.67, 12" PowerBook 1.5, TiBooks 1GHz 867 & 667, iMac G3 500, Cubes 500 & 450, B&W G3 450 & 350, iBook 300's, 366 466, Beige G3 350, PDQ G3 233

eeun's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 19 2003
Posts: 1891
Re: I need OS 9 to boot

GEOS wrote:

Hmm, I don't know about that. I've used iMac install CD's for Mac OS 9 on my Powermacs, Powerbook, iBook, and other old Macs.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. I've used a flat-panel iMac installer on desktop G4s, yet had a desktop G4 installer not work on a different flavour of desktop G4.
The 7.5.x installers were particularly picky.
But if the installer specifically says it's not made for that type of CPU, that's game over.

But yes, after the scheek's last post there may be hardware issues as well. There shouldn't be a lot of resets during the install process.

Being a Powerbook, it's possible all this has messed up the power manager. Do a Google search for resetting the Powerbook power manager and see if that helps.

__________________

"Give a man a fire, he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life."
(Terry Pratchett)

Offline
Joined: May 8 2007
Posts: 27
Power cord unplugged

Well...after taking the processor and HD out and working on everything I could imagine I looked down and saw that my power cord was barely plugged into the socket.

Yeah, that fixed that problem. I ordered a 9.2.1 vs Orange number OS off of Ebay. Hope that fixes the other issue.

Thanks

Eudimorphodon's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 21 2003
Posts: 1203
Machine-specific OS 9 installers

So... I'm a little hesitant to point this out, but while setting up SheepShaver on my MacBook I found a workaround assuming you have a *Restore* CD for a specific Mac. My only "retail" OS 9 CD is 9.2.1 as included with OS X 10.something, and SheepShaver won't run with anything over 9.0.4. In my junk CD pile I found two restore CDs, one marked "Power Macintosh G4" and containing 9.0.2, the other marked "Power Macintosh Cube" with 9.0.4, so I figured there had to be *something* I could do.

Anyway, it turns out the "Restore" CDs with the locked down "installers" contain a large disk image file hidden in one of the folders. I discovered that inside the emulator it was possible to boot the protected CD, format the hard disk with disk utility, and then simply open the disk image and drag all the contents (including the system folder) to the hard disk. The resulting system disk boots fine. The only anomaly I found was that with the "Cube" disk sound didn't work on the resulting OS install. It appears the cube-packaged version of 9.0.4 had a funky nonstandard sound driver. The workaround was to just use the Power Macintosh G4 CD's 9.0.2 and upgrade it to 9.0.4 manually. My guess is if you were running on real hardware rather then an emulator updating the OS with the later 9.1 and greater updates would probably fix that sort of weirdness.

Anyway. I did this a year ago, so I don't remember where the restore disk image was on the CD, but I'm sure you can find it if you look for it. (It's the bloody big file.) Again, this is assuming a "Restore CD". If they made machine-locked *installation* CDs obviously this won't work.

And if any mod thinks this information is a dangerous DMCA violation do delete it. ;^)

--Peace

Offline
Joined: May 8 2007
Posts: 27
My! Oh! My!

Worked like a charm. That was great piece of advice! I'll use the 9.2.1 as an update when I get it.

Thanks.