Well, I was given this iMac motherboard (iMac-to-ATX project)

8 replies [Last post]
Reverend Darkness's picture
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 502

OK, here's the way it is:

An associate had a iMac 350 (slot-load, Rev.E, whatever) that suffered flyback death. He was going do the ATX conversion, got halfway, and then was bored/fed up/done with it. He offered it to me.

I have the case, the motherboard, and what he claims is the start of the ATX power board. (I'll have pics later).

This is primarily going to be used as the way that I document my progress. I would really appreciate any suggestions, advice, or comments.

I am not necessarily electrically inclined, so the power board thingiemabob looks like an alien life form to me. It could be that my associate did not know what he was doing, or maybe that he was using the instructions for the Rev.A-D iMacs. Or I'm just an idiot.

I'll update y'all later.

__________________

When I see lightning, you know it always brings me down... because it's free, and it's me who's lost and never found.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Reverend Darkness's picture
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 502
iMac on ATX kit from Marathon....

The Marathon kit is not more. I was told by a Marathon employee today that they will no sell any more. I am now investigating how to use a soldering iron... If it's like a clothes iron, then I'm all set Wink

__________________

When I see lightning, you know it always brings me down... because it's free, and it's me who's lost and never found.

Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 354
At least with a soldering iro

At least with a soldering iron, if you screw up you don't waste an expensive shirt...

Don't worry, it's not hard. I only recently learned myself, and while nothing seems to work the way it's supposed to, it somehow works out. Initially knowing nothing, I started just by googling "how to solder" and going from there. I have managed to severely burn myself though, so common sense in handling is needed.

__________________

"One day I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing in my pajamas I have no idea."

Offline
Joined: Dec 19 2003
Posts: 566
Re: iMac on ATX kit from Marathon....

Reverend Darkness wrote:

The Marathon kit is not more. I was told by a Marathon employee today that they will no sell any more. I am now investigating how to use a soldering iron... If it's like a clothes iron, then I'm all set Wink

I wonder if they would send you some schematics/pinouts seeing as they aren't selling them now?

TOM

Reverend Darkness's picture
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 502
Re: iMac on ATX kit from Marathon....

tomlevens wrote:

I wonder if they would send you some schematics/pinouts seeing as they aren't selling them now?

TOM

Probably not, as they still use the components in the iRackDV. They obviously make a killer margin off of the iRack, but not as much off the kit, and we know that it's all about the Benjamin's...

I still think that with enough customer requests (hint-hint) that they would change this policy...

__________________

When I see lightning, you know it always brings me down... because it's free, and it's me who's lost and never found.

Offline
Joined: Dec 19 2003
Posts: 566
Re: iMac on ATX kit from Marathon....

Reverend Darkness wrote:
tomlevens wrote:

I wonder if they would send you some schematics/pinouts seeing as they aren't selling them now?

TOM

Probably not, as they still use the components in the iRackDV. They obviously make a killer margin off of the iRack, but not as much off the kit, and we know that it's all about the Benjamin's...

I still think that with enough customer requests (hint-hint) that they would change this policy...

Oh, I though you meant the whole iRack had been discontinued, my bad :Smile

TOM

Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 52
solderings pretty easy...long

solderings pretty easy...long as you dont try to catch a flying soldering iron...like i did....that sucked...horribly

Offline
Joined: Jan 28 2005
Posts: 17
I think this link will answer

I think this link will answer all your questions:
http://www.ct-scan.com/iMacATX/

Another thing, I'm looking for someone who could give me info on the eMac Down converter board connector voltages for a similar project but with an eMac logic board.

anyone??

mao's picture
mao
Offline
Joined: Nov 2 2004
Posts: 3
another web page (imac dv)

try translating this one with babelfish or google. following the steps right now. no problems so far. (just finished soldering the soft-power circuit...)
eeeh forgot the link Wink
http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=173

__________________

Mac user since '85