hard drives...

13 replies [Last post]
chmjr1965's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2 2005
Posts: 54

I have a question that I hope will not offend anyone. I am a newbie to the Mac world, having recently purchased a Powerbook G4. I love it so much that I am thinking of selling one of my windows-based desktops and purchasing a used Power MAC G3... This is the quandry; the Power MAC G3 that I have seen have such small hard drives and I'm wondering if I can format the hard drive from a windows machine and then install it in the Mac. I know that this is probably a really dumb question, but I have 80 gig hard drives that I would hate to have laying around collecting dust.

__________________

PowerBook G4 12" - 1.33 - 1.25 RAM

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
doug-doug the mighty's picture
Joined: Apr 14 2004
Posts: 1355
yes...

The drives are IDE, and are interchangeable parts. You will indeed have to reformat the drive to accept a Mac OS.

__________________

--DDTM ('Fritter Critter' since Apr 26 2004 - 18:16)

'If it ain't broke, take it apart anyways. If you can't take it apart, break it so that you can fix it.'

chmjr1965's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2 2005
Posts: 54
DDTM - thanks for the info!

I thought I might be able to do that, but my Mac knowledge is so limited that I wasn't sure. I did "google" before posting here but, I didn't find any specific answers that didn't take an hour to read. Thanks for the straight-forward answer!

Charles

__________________

PowerBook G4 12" - 1.33 - 1.25 RAM

DrBunsen's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 946
Make sure you format the disk

Make sure you format the disk with Mac tools - Disk Utility on an OS X install disk for example - and (at least on a beige G3, maybe a Blue & White as well) OS X has to live on the first partition, which must be less than 8 gigs.

__________________

Damn the Torx screws, full speed ahead!
Apple and Wireless FAQ

martakz's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 634
Does not apply to the blue an

Does not apply to the blue and white.

__________________

Now using x86 machines. Bye bye iMac266 (Strawberry), G3 1400 and the G3 IIsi.

chmjr1965's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2 2005
Posts: 54
Again, thanks for the info!!!

Next - I do webdesign (Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX Pro, Adobe Photoshop and several other graphically intensive programs) and my PowerBook G4 (768 Ram) does everything that I need it do. So, this is the challenge. I want to get a used Mac desktop and I have researched several models on the net. My current windows system has a GIG of ram, 80 gig harddrive with 7800 RPM and this was the original system for design (both for print media and webdesign). Okay... Don't want to spend the money on a new system, but I have no idea what a good used Mac should be. There is a guy locally selling an iMac 450 with 128 RAM (willing to buy memory of course) and a 20 gig drive. Is this a system that will deliver the performance that I need for print and web design? If not, what other systems should I be lokking at? Should I purchase on eBay or would my current system be something worth a trade for anyone? My concern is that I don't know enough about Mac hardware to make fully intelligent choices on what is and is not a good system for my needs (I don't do any gaming...).

Thanks in advance.

__________________

PowerBook G4 12" - 1.33 - 1.25 RAM

chmjr1965's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2 2005
Posts: 54
Quick question...

Can you recommend a great Mac site for the newbies that would be a starter for the basics; system comparisons, hardware tweaks, etc?

__________________

PowerBook G4 12" - 1.33 - 1.25 RAM

MacTrash_1's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 318
Re: Quick question...

chmjr1965 wrote:

Can you recommend a great Mac site for the newbies that would be a starter for the basics; system comparisons, hardware tweaks, etc?

Here's some of my favorites:

Lowendmac.com

Everymac.com

Xkr8yourmac.com

__________________

Krow,

Apple Art & Project Black Mac LC5500/225 at:
http://krowmagnum.4mg.com/photo6.html

Offline
Joined: Jan 24 2005
Posts: 159
i have a b/w g3 400mhz with 5

i have a b/w g3 400mhz with 512mb ram 27gbhd dvd-rom for 200$ i can throw in a 19" monitor for 100$ more. pm me if you are interested.

__________________

wether it seems it or not, we're all dreaming.

MacTrash_1's picture
Offline
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 318
Re: Again, thanks for the info!!!

chmjr1965 wrote:

Next - I do webdesign (Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX Pro, Adobe Photoshop and several other graphically intensive programs) and my PowerBook G4 (768 Ram) does everything that I need it do. So, this is the challenge. I want to get a used Mac desktop and I have researched several models on the net. My current windows system has a GIG of ram, 80 gig harddrive with 7800 RPM and this was the original system for design (both for print media and webdesign). Okay... Don't want to spend the money on a new system, but I have no idea what a good used Mac should be. There is a guy locally selling an iMac 450 with 128 RAM (willing to buy memory of course) and a 20 gig drive. Is this a system that will deliver the performance that I need for print and web design? If not, what other systems should I be lokking at? Should I purchase on eBay or would my current system be something worth a trade for anyone? My concern is that I don't know enough about Mac hardware to make fully intelligent choices on what is and is not a good system for my needs (I don't do any gaming...).

Thanks in advance.

What you really want is at least a B&W G3 which can be upgraded easily. The iMacs are nice for general use but are limited on upgrades available. What is available for iMacs is more expensive than a tower Mac G3 or G4.

Decide how much money you want and check Ebay's completed auctions to see what is in your price range. For example do a completed auctions search in the "Apple" category for G3 or G4. A G3 running at 450MHz has more potential than the iMac G3 450 and all you need is a nice VGA monitor which you already have and can even use a KVM switch to use both computers on one monitor.

__________________

Krow,

Apple Art & Project Black Mac LC5500/225 at:
http://krowmagnum.4mg.com/photo6.html

chmjr1965's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2 2005
Posts: 54
Krow,

I'm running 768 on the PowerBook... do you think that 512 on the G3 400 B&W will suffice to handle the design needs? I found a site (Fastmac.com http://www.fastmac.com/products/processors/zifs.php ) that states that I can increase the processing speed. Do you think this legit? Lastly, I am still not used to MHZ difference between Windows and Mac based units. Is a 400 MHZ system going to painfully slow or just marginally slower than my Powerbook:

Spoke with another member about this next part and he thought that maybe I should post it here in the thread...

Okay, in my windows based machine, which I am planning to sell if I can get the right info on the Mac, I have a PCI TV card that's used for video editting (Pinnacle v7 for editting software). I know that I will need new software for the editting as the software that I have is for Windows XP. Question; can I pull the card out the Windows machine and install it the G3? Also, the windows machine has a CD burner and a dvd-burner (purely for backup purposes of course!). So the question that I have is whether or not I pull out my hardware and install it in the Mac since I spent a lot money on these items and they do get used.

I am not above being sent to specific URLs for tutorials if what I am asking is too much handle here in the thread.

Thanks again,
Charles

__________________

PowerBook G4 12" - 1.33 - 1.25 RAM

chmjr1965's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2 2005
Posts: 54
This forum...

Just want to officially say "thanks" to everyone one of you for being patient with a newbie; I am really glad that I found this forum!

__________________

PowerBook G4 12" - 1.33 - 1.25 RAM

chmjr1965's picture
Offline
Joined: Mar 2 2005
Posts: 54
Re: Again, thanks for the info!!!

MacTrash_1 wrote:

What you really want is at least a B&W G3 which can be upgraded easily. The iMacs are nice for general use but are limited on upgrades available. What is available for iMacs is more expensive than a tower Mac G3 or G4.

Decide how much money you want and check Ebay's completed auctions to see what is in your price range. For example do a completed auctions search in the "Apple" category for G3 or G4. A G3 running at 450MHz has more potential than the iMac G3 450 and all you need is a nice VGA monitor which you already have and can even use a KVM switch to use both computers on one monitor.

Again, thanks for all the info and I assure you that I am all over the net trying to learn as much and as quickly as I can!

__________________

PowerBook G4 12" - 1.33 - 1.25 RAM

Offline
Joined: Jan 24 2005
Posts: 159
a 400mhz g3 will be about as

a 400mhz g3 will be about as fast as a 800mhz pc.(just a guess on my uses). you shouldnt have to buy a new processor because this machine is actually quite nice. it should be able to handle basicly anything you throw at it , except those really dense programs thatr need g4-g5 processors.

__________________

wether it seems it or not, we're all dreaming.