USB to Firewire

3 replies [Last post]
Joined: Mar 31 2005
Posts: 1

I recently purchased an external hard drive to give myself extra storage space (my laptop only has 40GB which is nearly gone). When i recieved the external hard drive i found that it is only firewire compatible, but my laptop only has USB ports. I have found cards that act as adaptors between USB and firewire, but these are only compatible with PC's not laptops. Does anyone know of a way that i can connect my hard drive with my laptop?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
martakz's picture
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 634
Buy a usb2 to ide adapter and

Buy a usb2 to ide adapter and place it in your enclose. Mine cost $5 from ebay.


Now using x86 machines. Bye bye iMac266 (Strawberry), G3 1400 and the G3 IIsi.

Jon's picture
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 2804
Er, what exact products are y

Er, what exact products are you looking at? If it goes from USB to FW, then it doesn't matter if it's a desktop or a laptop, so long as it's got a USB port. Did you mean to type the it works on a PC and not a Macintosh?


I am not in this world to live up to other people's expectations, nor do I feel that the world must live up to mine. - Fritz Perls

dankephoto's picture
Joined: Dec 20 2003
Posts: 1900
re: adaptors between USB and firewire

Huh? Never seen one of these jobbies, must be sumpin' new! ;D

Buy a cardbus FW card, cost all of what? USD20 or so? The file transfers will be much faster than through the USB port.

dan k


|| web page gone - curse you Comcast! | Applish goodies servers offline, sorry! |
» email macdan at