Apple 1 basic was on cassette tape and took about 30 seconds to load.
Some of the following was in the BASIC:
- variables, numeric simple variable, A,N, A1, T6
- Numeric array variable, N, T, B1, T4
- character string variable, letter+$, A$,N$
- ABS(X), SGN(x), Peek(x), Rnd(x), Len(var$).
- Arrays, A(15), D(100). Used the Dim statement ot declare.
- Strings= Print "this is a string", used the quotes.
- Substrings, A$="ABCDEFG"
- Print A$ = ABCDEFG
- Print A$(5) = EFG
- Print A$(2,6)= BCDEF
- Auto val1, val2==== Starts automatically supplying line numbers.
- val1= first line number value.
- Val2= increment between line numbers valuse.
- Clr== sets all variables to zero.
- Del val1, val2, erases from the program all lines numbered from val1 to val2. if just val1 is used, one line is deleted.
- List val1,val2, displays all program statements on lines numbered from val1to val2. If you use just list the whole program is listed.
- RUN val1 - does a CLR then initiates program execution beginning at line val1. if val1 is omitted, program starts at lowest number.
- SCR == Deletes the entire program, nothing is saved.
- HIMEM =(expr) sets the high memory boundary for user programs, in decimal. Initializes to 4096.
- LOMEM=(expr) sets the low memory boundary for user programs,in deciaml. Initializes to 2048.
- IF(EXPR) THEN
- POKE EXPR1
In Apple Basic you could input more than one statement on a line. Each statement must be separated by a colon (:).
- >32767 ERR
- >255 ERR, A VALUE RESTRICTED TO THE RANGE 0 TO 255 WAS OUTSIDE THAT RANGE.
- BAD BRANCH ERR
- BAD RETURN ERR
- BAD NEXT ERR
- >8 GOSUBS ERR Results from more than 8 nested GOSUBS.
- >8 FORS ERR Results from more than 8 nested FOR loops.
- END ERR Last statement was not an END.
- MEM FULL ERR
- TOO LONG ERR Results from too many nested parentheses.
- DIM ERR
- RANGE ERR An array or string subscript was larger than the Dimensioned value or smaller that 1.
- STR OVFL ERR The number of characters assigned to a string exceeded the dimensioned value for that string.
- STRING ERR Results from an attempt to execute an illegal string operation.
- RETYPE LINE Results from illegal data being typed in response to an INPUT statement.