I am looking at buying a dual 533 g4 DA. I have a coupla questions:
1. Is this one of the ones with two HD slots?
2. they say they are VGA output at lowend, does that mean I can use a crappy old pc VGA monitor until I acn get an lcd display? does that require an adapter?
3. Can i use the pc 133 RAM from my old g3 iMac?
thanks ahead of time...
First off, some Power Mac G3 and G4 computers only came with one HD slot, mine G3 has two slots. Yes, you can connect the VGA to any display as long as the display works, I connected my G3 to an LCD and it works fine. You can probably use the crappy monitor, but I'm not sure. The RAM in your iMac G3, yes you can, as long as it fits into the slot.
1. The Digital Audio comes stock with a two hard-drive bracket. It's no big deal to fabricate one from a couple small pieces of sheet metal, etc. if the one you get only has a single.
2. Yes, you can use any PC VGA monitor. The G4 will support standard SVGA resolutions.
3. If it's really PC-133 SD-RAM you've added to the iMac, then yes. iMacs shipped with PC-100.
Note that unless you're doing 3D or media encoding/conversion, a single-processor 733 Digital Audio is faster, and you might find one for less money than the dual-533.
thank you. I realize the dual 533 is not as fast as the 733 single. I do some media conversion, but the main reason is to get an upgrade for the cpu eventually. The ones that end in 33 and 66 have wider bus widths right? Im sure it will perform faster than my iMac g3 @ 500mhz. Anyways, maybe I misunderstand the HD thing, its just extra brackets? no extra cables/connections? I was under the impression that one could use both hard drives at the same time (ok not the SAME time, but you know waht i mean, drag and drop files between them) Is this not the case? (I already bought it so if not, oh well.)
You can also add a PCI ATA card for another four drives.