Should I wait for Leopard???

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 10 months ago
Joined: Jun 5 2007 - 09:14
Should I wait for Leopard???

I waited a long time for the release of Leopard, only to see continued delays. Now, again, they are saying Leopard won't come out until October or November. Sigh!
I've never owned a Mac, but am fed-up with pc's, so I'm ready to take the plunge. Furthermore, my pc is barely still hanging in there. So...should I just go out and buy a mac now, or wait? Are the differences between the Tiger OS and Leopard that worthy of continued waiting? If I buy now, and later want to upgrade, would that be hard for a neophyte to do on his own?
Brian

Tom Owad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 42 min ago
Joined: Dec 16 2003 - 15:14
Re: Should I wait for Leopard???

artvandelay007 wrote:
So...should I just go out and buy a mac now, or wait? Are the differences between the Tiger OS and Leopard that worthy of continued waiting?

It'll only cost you about $130 to upgrade when it comes out.

Quote:
If I buy now, and later want to upgrade, would that be hard for a neophyte to do on his own?
Brian

No. All you really do is insert the disk and click 'ok' a few times.

cwsmith's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: Oct 13 2005 - 08:23
If you need a new machine ...

If you need a new machine now, then the time to buy is now. As Tom already said, it'll only cost $129 to upgrade to Leopard once it does come out, and it's not as if Tiger will be obsolete the minute Leopard drops.

I'm still using Panther on several of my Macs at home, and not really seeing any decreased performance on those machines. Sure, Tiger has some features I'd like to use all around, but Panther is still a great OS.

You can keep waiting a few months for the next new model or the next new OS, but you'll find that, years later, you're still waiting. Get what you need, when you need it, and it should last you a good few years.

iantm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 22 hours ago
Joined: Apr 2 2005 - 14:01
Frankly, 10.5 looks like a re

Frankly, 10.5 looks like a real yawner. If you need a machine - buy it now. If you can wait a while, wait till October. Six months is a long time. I wouldn't use 10.5 until a month after it ships. There WILL be bugs.

GEOS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 16 hours ago
Joined: Dec 20 2003 - 10:38
Now is an excellent time to b

Now is an excellent time to buy, especially if you are looking at a laptop. Both the MacBook Pro and MacBooks have just recieved upgrades. It may be possible to see the iMac updated before October, but I doubt the Mac Mini will see anything change (if it does, it will probably be minimal like more RAM from the factory). Like the others said, updating the software is no big deal at all. Tiger is excellent and the current line up of Apple computers will run Leopord just fine. I personally am planning on selling my MacBook Pro and buying a newer one here ASAP because I want to be ready to scream through Leopard.

Simon27's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 day ago
Joined: Jul 7 2005 - 15:54
Buy now

Andy Ihnatko recently said that the benefit of buying a Tiger machine now and upgrading to Leopard later gives you the benefit of begin able to put Tiger back onto the machine using the original disks that came with your Mac if Leopard does not work for you.

Log in or register to post comments