I'm using one from a 1400cs in a hack, the rigidity of the frame makes it perfect for my application. I’d like to know it anyone has disassembled and reassembled one of these things or a similar KBD. I'll check for HowTos and FAQs, but practical experience/advice about PB KBDs is the kind of feedback I'm looking for here. Links to any kind of related stuff out there would be appreciated.
How does this strategy sound?
1) remove all the Keycaps and hardware from the front.
2) place it upside down on a drill press
3) drill out the heatstakes/preparing the holes for tapping
4) flip it back over/examine the mayhem wreaked upon a perfectly good KBD
5) create a new bottom layer membrane with a thin PCB
6) repair or print a new top membrane layout (that SS ink is EXPENSIVE!)
7) drill and countersink plastic base/PCB combo
8] add strategically placed holes for longer machine screws
9) tap the aluminum KBD frame
. . . and finally, reassemble KBD using short and longer machine screw (standoffs & chassis mounting) where appropriate. Somewhere in there I might experiment a little bit with spot welding aluminum framing parts to the KBD base.
. . . unless of course, just spot welding lotsa crap onto the back to begin with and converting the existing matrix into a mappable circuit and an ADB controller’s matrix input would be easier!