I hope it's all right if I use the 'Fritter as a place for people to talk about their MacBooks/MacBook Pros, what wireless setup they have, and if they have any issues with it?
My MacBook, and my WRT54g v1.1, tomato v1.19 hate each other, particularly whenever the MacBook is awakening from sleep. I am very inclined to by a router, hopefully N-capable, that won't have this problem. For instance, a poster on the Apple discussion boards says that he's got no issues, at all with a Linksys WRT150N; heard another saying the same about the newest AirPort extreme base station.
So, if it's all right, anyone who can, please add the following:
1) What MacBook or MacBook Pro have you got? I'm a dual 2.0 white, 1GB RAM.
2) Which Mac OS X version? (Mine's 10.5.2, God do i wish I had 10.4)
3) What router have you got? (I covered that)
4) If there's alternate firmwares available, have you tried them? (I've been to the stock Linksys firmware, DD-WRT, tomato, tried an older OpenWRT but couldnt get it working properly, WhiteRussian 0.9)
5) If you do have problems, have you had experience with a router that gave you _NONE_, that you can name? After waking from sleep? Know the model? (I've been round a WRT54GS v.5 that did the same thing my WRT54G does)
I think that about covers it; if there's any questions, or problems, let me know.
-- Joshua, "Macinjosh"
overclockedmind, Apple Discussion Boards 'handle'