Finally - a BBS geared towards Mac users! Fire up your vintage Mac and check out Captain's Quarters II BBS running Mystic BBS on an old iMac with full ANSI graphics. The telnet address is cqbbs.ddns.net:6800.
Cool, but what can I do on there?
• Post on Mac, Apple II, or other retrocomputer-related forums just like on here.
• Play some great door games like Legend of the Red Dragon, Trade Wars, and good ol' Lemonade Stand.
• View thousands of Mac and Apple II game-related text files including walkthroughs, cheats, hacks, etc.
• Download vintage Mac / Apple IIgs / Apple II games, apps, and old issues of Inside Mac Games.
• Get on a live multi-chat with fellow Mac users.
• View the status of Covid worldwide and see the latest CNN headlines.
• Play some live Tournament Trivia Sunday nights at 7:00 central time.
So how do I get on?
• Using a wifi modem like this one, you can use ZTerm (OS 6-9) terminal program. ZTerm supports ANSI-BBS but to get it to look right you've got to go under Settings -> Terminal and select zt-ibm font and check PC ANSI-BBS. atdt cqbbs.ddns.net:6800 in the terminal.
• From a networked vintage Mac, you can use MacSSH (OS 7-9), which is an updated version of Better Telnet. Launch it and go under Favorites -> Edit Favorites -> New to create a new BBS to connect to. Under the General tab make the alias: CQ II, host name: cqbbs.ddns.net, port: 6800. Under the Terminal tab select Delete Sends: Backspace. Under Security Tab select Protocol: Telnet. Now you have to go back to the General tab and change the Port back to 6800 as it will have changed it back to 23. Click "OK" twice and now you can go under Favorites, select CQ II from the menu, and you're off!
• Don't want to take that old Mac off the shelf?! Get on with your web browser here: https://www.telnetbbsguide.com/bbs/captains-quarters-ii/. You can also use a modern terminal program like Zoc (favorite for my MBP) or SyncTERM with your modern computer to connect.
Hope to see you there!
The Wordle craze has made it all the way to the BBS! Full instructions how to get on the BBS here.
Picture 3 copy.jpg