I started a new project regarding the Apple-1. Now that I have finished creating the case (there is a version available for the gerber-file-board and for the mimeo), I am now turning my focus to the manuals. I did initial reprints of the Operation Manual, the schematics of the main board, the cassette interface manual and the Preliminary Basic Manual.
The first run is a reprint of cleaned and enhanced scans but the final goal will be to completely rebuild the manuals from scratch, i.e. redesigning them as close to the original as possible (which is QUITE a task). I saw that someone by the name of khaibitgfx already put much effort into a copy of the Apple Basic Manual which looks really nice but unfortunately is not an exact redesign. My goal would be to be indistinguishable close to the original regarding all aspects: Fonts, line spacing, kerning, drawings – the full monty.
The following documents are on my list:
1. First Full Page Advertising of Apple-1 (published in "Interface Age", Issue 11/76) (almost done)
2. Operation Manual
3. Cassette Interface Manual
4. Preliminary Apple Basic Users Manual
I have a few questions regarding the task at hand:
1. The Apple-1 shown in the ad mentioned above: Has anybody come across the original picture that is used in the ad (okay, chances for this are basically zero, I know)
2. Is there a high-res version of the first Apple Logo available? I have something with a width of 2k pixels, so not too shabby, really, but maybe there is even a better source.
3. Basically all scans I could find are "warped" a bit because the paper had not been completely flat during scanning. Does anybody know of scans where the single sheets of the manual have been "unmounted" (i.e. the saddle stitch binding has been removed to scans the pages without any "warping"?
Maybe somebody has information on any of those questions.
Apart from that: Let me know what you think about the project and – most importantly: What kind of final production would you like to see: A posh approach with really heavy and laminated paper that protects the print or rather something that looks like the paper from the 70ies?
Any feedback is highly appreciated!