ok, let me know if you've heard this one...a jew a protestant, and a catholic walk into a bar...and the doctor says: if this is my thermometer then where's my pen. ha ha ha ha ha.
so i am running along, minding my own business when all of a sudden my computer just reboots. freaked my socks right off. never happened before. when something goes wrong with my g3aio, my ears perk up and i try to pay attention to every detail i can to kind of logg what happens before the problem happens again. then the boot happened agian and then the boot process just went on and on. when i say on and on, i mean it would reboot...dong....dong...dong...dong... and so on. just one reboot after the other. it just wouldn't stop unl;ess i turn the power off.
so here are all the details i can:
g3aio gossamer rev 2 with rom version 2
g4 500mHz owc zif (i can't seem to configure the l2 cahe, its always uninstalled, and i've tried several things))
384mb (3x 128mb pc100)
IDE01: 20gb master drive partioned for osx.3.9 & 4gb slave drive for os9.2.2
IDE02: liteOn it cd-rw(patchburn and roxio toast 6) master & 100mb zip slave
2mb builting vram
radeon 9200 pci
opti firelink or whatever two port usb pci
wings a/v in and out personality
36" ide cables to reach all the drives
apple keyboard II, the small one with no function keys and regular adb mouse
vst usb floppy (this is a recent addition)
either a sony or panasonic 17" monitor
epson 3000 inkjet with parellel to usb for osx and the serial for os9
apple onescanner aith a 10' scsi cable
four port usb hub with usb extension for mps player and usb cable to mini usb for my tiny dig camera
bellsouth fastaccess dsl for charlotte, nc
things done to computer before issue appeared:
1. xpostfacto to change startup mon from external to internal
2. loaded protools and did basic tests and performance analysis (mostly to see if it could help with the monitor issues)
3. loaded adobe acrobat 7.0 pro
4. loaded virtual pc 6
5. loaded windows 2000
6. loaded driver patch for che-ez dig camera. it is ioexperts' usbstillcamera driver
now here is the part that gets me...
i finished the win2k and then went to install che-ez's driver (the che-ez splash is win only) and it would load to the point of "this is not a windows athorized do you still want to install?" click yes and then the very first shutdown occured. took awhile to get back into osx. xpostfacto through os9 got it all back. i thought it was a fluke but loading the driver again caused the same problem. thats why i found the usbstillcamera driver. then the next day i had the first reboot after reboot ordeal. truly amazing event if you have never seen it happen. holding option, or option+command+p+r, or c with an osx disc does absolutely nothing. after turning the machine completely down and putting an os 9 disc in right before all the reboot go on and holding c finally gets to the actual os : )
but it happened this morning when my wife needs to finish a project for school, but i got it all back to os x after xpostfacto'ing once i get into os9. but this time i unplugged the scsi, usb cables, serial and ethernet before getting it all going so she could finish the project.
what i noticed:
1. during use, the visible area on th built-in mon shrinks slowly. it will start with a little bit of the apple in top menu slightly above the viewing portion. but the end of use there would be a gap between the top menu and the edge of the viewing portion.
2. right before the first of many reboots, both monitors will flicker just before the reboot, then the built-in mon will crackle more so than what normally happens right when the machine is turned on at the begining of the day and it is a different kind of crackle. it is extremely sparking sounding. but with lights off, there are no flashes from within. the crackle goes away as soon as i resolve the issue and get back into osx.
3. i have never been able to save the settings for the built-in mon. everytime i turn it on, i have to set the brightness and profile. plus there is no way to adjust the geometry.
so thats all i can say right now. any more and i'd have to kill you all. does anyone have a clue.
1. a short in the adb line
2. bad pram battery (but os9 doesnt notify me of this)
3. osx sucks ( i still love os 9, but need the osx capabilities)
4. virtual pc did something and i dont know how to resolve
5. bad rom chip
6. bad usb card
7. bad vst floppy drive
8. over worked g3 aio
6. bad hair dye job
10.the g3 doesnt like the indigo paint job i gave it
any help would be appreciated. and if you can give me the answer that fixes this and makes me machine all the better, then i will illustrate a 11"x14" of anything you want. i am sorry this is such a novel of a post but i cant do this on my own. i have exhausted my resources. you're my only hope, ,obi applefritter kanobi
peace and love