OK so I think I may sell all of my computers (the WinXP box I built a year ago, my PowerBook 1400c (( btw if that happens the G3 upgrade will be whats sold and i havent forgotten those who have inquired about it )) and my B&W and get a new Intel Mac (along with some penny saving.) The problem is, I'm really not satisfied with the reliability of either of the options for me at this point due to budget restraints: ie, the mini and the MacBook.
The mini has been described here multiple times as a "disposable" computer; and the Macbook moos, whines, yellows, has batteries that swell, etc. (Yeah I know they released a firmware update which alters the speed of the fans.)
Have you HEARD this mooing sound? To an ear that's heard it before it sounds to me like a fan thats either horribly loud or is about to go horribly defective.
Here's an example moo.
My WinXP box has been a total headache, because it's got an Asus P5RD1V motherboard. Yeah google that and welcome to my world. The last thing I want to walk into is a machine that's going to be giving me problems; what I really want is a modern version of my B&W as far as stability goes.
Or maybe more appropriately my 1400... it's a DECADE old with ZERO issues.
(Aside: How much should I eBay my B&W for? It's got these specs:
500 MHz G4 Proc
576 MB of RAM
80GB hard drive
Radeon Mac Edition video w/S-Video Out
could also sell it with a single layer DVD burner and an 11g card, those are in my WinXP box right now.)
What's a guy to do?
a)Buy a Macbook and complain at the slightest sight of trouble?
b)Buy a mini and never move the thing?
c)Spring for AppleCare on the Macbook and combine that with (a ?
Then there's the "is Apple going to go 64-bit across-the-board" question... watch me buy a Macbook and 2 years later be swearing about not being able to run 64-bit stuff.
It'll be awhile before I make the move, so if they are it can wait. But enough ranting, any thoughts?