Alright, I just got a G3 AIO with a 400MHz xlr8 upgrade in it. It has an 18 gig hard drive, 512 megs of ram, and os x.2. And thats all I know about it o.o I know I want the Wings Personality card, and have just bought one (waiting for it to arrive). Other than that, though, I have no other knowledge about the machine...nor OS X (I'm someone who would prefer still using my Classic 2 with 7.1, or Q605 w/ 7.6.1 ). I have just a small list of questions that I hope some people can answer.
1) Can I startup from BOTH os 9 and OS X on this machine? At power on, it doesn't have the standard grey screen that I am familiar with, does this mean its startup procedure has been modified (since I know the machine itself was created before OS X).
2) I have a PDF of the service manual for the machine, and it shows how to adjust the screen geometry using Monitors and Sound in OS 9... but since it has OS X installed, can I not change it? (The screen has really shrunk and is horribly off center).
3) If I were to go buy an 80 gig hard drive from Staples or something, would it work in the machine right in place of the current hard drive, or would I need a card like Sonnet's Tempo series or whatever? I had bought a 40 gig maxtor from Staples a while back to use in my 6500 that I'm on now, but it was ata 166 or 133 or whatever and the 6500 couldn't recognize anything was there)
4) If I were to upgrade futher (a faster g3 processor, or even g4), would it be worth it? Is the onboard display processor strong enough to use OS X.3?
4a) Would it still be bootable in OS 9 on a higher-level processor?
5) I took a picture of the motherboard and labeled a few things that I dont know what they do/are.
--1) is this a third ram slot, the empty one? WHat kind of ram do I need (although, I dont think Ill ever need more than the 512 I already have)
--2) "SGRAM Only" this similar slot was in our Rev A iMac, is it a slot for video memory? What kind do I need there?
--3) this is a stock personality card, is this slot on it for a modem? Where can I get one, or do all Wings Personality card have them?
--4) should this chip have some sort of heat sink on it or some kind of protection?
If anyone can give me any sort of feedback on all these questions, it would be GREATLY appreciated!! =^.^= THanks in advance.
PS: wow, its been so long since I came here...I cant get used to these new forums... took me 20 minutes alone to figure out how to put an image in the message -.-;