Water in Monitor

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
DrBunsen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 20 2003 - 10:38
Posts: 946
Water in Monitor

OK, so I spilled a half glass of water from my loft, straight down the back of my favourite monitor (19" Sun). Luckily the power was off at the wall, but unluckily it was only a few minutes before the spill happened, and I know that monitors can store charge for a while. Obviously I've taken it out of service, and I'm going to crack the back (with care) and leave it to dry for at least a few days before trying it again. Might even give it a blast with the hairdryer.

Anybody got any suggestions? What are my chances?

And yes, I already feel like a doofus, so be nice, ok?

Eudimorphodon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: Dec 21 2003 - 14:14
Posts: 1206
If it was just plain *water*...

there's a reasonable chance you'll come away unscathed. However, you'll want to hit it with that hairdryer. Water has this really nasty habit of seeping into the little spaces underneath components and inside connectors, and once in there can stay there for a *long* time without evaporating.

Also beware of the fact that if your monitor had a good layer of dust inside it (all too common) that water transformed it into a nice, disgusting felt-like layer of muddy lint sticking to the circuit board. Which isn't a huge problem per se, but as long as it's damp it's going to foster a nice corrosive environment underneath it.

--Peace

DrBunsen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 20 2003 - 10:38
Posts: 946
SO should I give it a squirt

SO should I give it a squirt of a good electronics-grade degreaser as well?

themike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 8 months ago
Joined: Jul 21 2004 - 19:33
Posts: 455
Re: Water in Monitor

OK, so I spilled a half glass of water from my loft, straight down the back of my favourite monitor (19" Sun). Luckily the power was off at the wall, but unluckily it was only a few minutes before the spill happened, and I know that monitors can store charge for a while. Obviously I've taken it out of service, and I'm going to crack the back (with care) and leave it to dry for at least a few days before trying it again. Might even give it a blast with the hairdryer.

Anybody got any suggestions? What are my chances?

And yes, I already feel like a doofus, so be nice, ok?

Was the glass half-full?

DrBunsen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 4 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 20 2003 - 10:38
Posts: 946
Re: Water in Monitor

Was the glass half-full?

Ha, I was waiting for that one.

themike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 8 months ago
Joined: Jul 21 2004 - 19:33
Posts: 455
Sorry, I just had to. Anyway,

Sorry, I just had to. Anyway, on to the real help:
I would take off the back, and turn the monitor so that it is resting on the front of the tube. Maybe leave it like that for a few weeks/days/months.

Log in or register to post comments