Hi everyone, this is my first post!
The other day I decided to break out my good ol' Apple II with DUODRIVE and monitor and give it a go after some 15 years of inactivity. My Apple has an 80column + 64K explansion card, a Practical Peripherals Graphicard and the duodrive controller.
Well the system boots up, but won't load any of my over 100 5'25" floppies. It will load some data, but it is all corrupted. I can see this because the raster images that appear on some utilities are garbled, and the garble changes if I reset the Apple and reload the same floppy. Other than that, the programs just crash and the Apple jumps to the internal assembler-monitor.
So I thought, hell, my old duodrive 1 is failing alignment, let me try with N.2. So I opened the duodrive case up and removed the electronics and inverted the mechanics (the electronics is only 1 board for both drives installed on drive1) and tried again: same result. I also have a nice 5'25" cleaning kit with isopropyl alcohol which I used but the drive's heads seem to be perfectly clean (I checked visually). It can't be my floppies because they were all good quality 3M or Verbatim floppies and I have over 100 of them and none work and give all the same symptoms.
The apple seems to work fine as I wrote a small basic program and it runs fine - it must be the DACs that are failing on the interface board. I tried heating them and cooling them, but that didn't change the results much.
So, after having tried for over 4 hours to get dear old Apple II to read some of my old workdisks and games, I packed it up again and put it away. Oh my dear.
Then, I thought, why not give the Apple II forum users a chance to say theirs. So here it is, if anyone has any tips then they are welcome. Unfortunately I do not know where I can get a hold of another drive interface with drive to test it (I live in Italy) even if I may check around.
I did think of running a diagnostic, but then again I can't load anything unless I can get the audio inputs to work and someone can send me a sampled wav of a small diagnostic program so I can record it back to tape and try it. Apart from that, I'm out of ideas. If I have time, I'll try to give it another go. Time takes it's toll on capacitors or condensers and there may be some component that has drifted out of tolerance spitting out a lot of noise and getting the A/Ds to decode junk.
Any comments are welcome!