I am new to the Macintosh and haven't actually recieved my Classic Color system yet. I wanted to ask some questions and hopefully get answers on upgrading the unit even more. I'm hoping some of you here might be able to answer some or all of these questions.
1. What is the largest sized SCSI Hard Drive that the Mystic will support? I have a 250mb drive in the unit that is on its way to me, but I'd love to be able to get a drive in the GB size range. (Ex: 4, 20, 40GB, etc...)
2. I've read about the video upgrade to 640x480. I have the following questions. If I get the upgrade will...
A) The video resolution be swappable? I mean can I revert back to the original resolution via the OS like we can in
Windows, or am I stuck with 640x480 then?
In 640x480 does the screen image still fill out the viewable area on the monitor or because of the resoution size is the
viewable image smaller than the full size of the monitor?
3. What is the max RAM I can install into the CC Mystic and where can I buy more ram? The system I bought comes with 16mb, but perhaps that is too small. I saw a post about 128mb RAM for the system. Is it possible to get 256mb and if so where can I buy the proper RAM?
4. What OS is the best to use? OS 7.5 comes installed, but is that the best OS for a Mystic upgrade system with 16mb RAM?
5. How much video ram is suggested in these systems? I think it comes with 512kb VRAM. Is that too little? Should I look to get more VRAM?
6. What about processor? I read that the chip on the LC 575 is changeable to a faster processor with FPU. What is the best processor to get for this board and other than eBay, is there any place to look for them?
7. What type of joysticks are available for these systems? I'm sure I'll be interested in trying out some games, so is there a specific type of joystick that I'll need?
8. I'm hopefully getting the Apple II emulator board for this system from a fellow member of these forums. I wanted to know if there are add-on emulator boards for a IIGS? That is unless the IIGS software can run on the CC without emulation. I don't know if that is possible, so I thought I'd ask.
9. Can an external monitor be hooked up to this unit? I'm sure it can, but the question would be this. Back in the days of the CC, is a specific type of monitor needed or will standard SVGA monitors work? If standard, how about flat panel monitors with a typical VGA input port?
10. When searching for software for this system, what do I need to look for? (System Specs) Anything that runs on OS 6.x-7.x, or is there more information I need to know before downloading or buying software for the system?
Well, theres 10 questions. Sorry for such a long post. I just would like to get these questions out there as the answers will help me get a good understanding of the system and what upgrades I should look to get. I appreciate any help/advice that any of you might be able to give.