New IIfx and Mac OS

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
retro_bill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: Aug 5 2020 - 11:56
Posts: 124
New IIfx and Mac OS

I dont know yet what version of MacOS will be in the box of my IIfx, but what do you experts recommentd?

 

I already have 128mb of RAM to install

 

Thanks!

Online
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: Feb 27 2021 - 18:59
Posts: 551
6.0.8

It will be fastest with System 6.0.8.

System 7 brought many new features and a large fraction of Mac software requires it, but it is slower and more resource hungry. I believe the highest supported version is 7.6.1 but that version is even more bloated.

Tom Owad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 11 min ago
Joined: Dec 16 2003 - 15:14
Posts: 3378
I would want System 6.0.8, 7

I would want System 6.0.8, 7.1.1, and 7.5.5. You can put System folders for each on the same drive. It'll boot off the folder that's blessed. If you move the System file out of a blessed System folder, it will unbless, and the next valid System folder you open will be blessed. The blessed system folder shows a Macintosh icon on it. There's also a utilty for doing. I think it was called something like "Blesser".

retro_bill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: Aug 5 2020 - 11:56
Posts: 124
Tom Owad wrote:I would want
Tom Owad wrote:

I would want System 6.0.8, 7.1.1, and 7.5.5. You can put System folders for each on the same drive. It'll boot off the folder that's blessed. If you move the System file out of a blessed System folder, it will unbless, and the next valid System folder you open will be blessed. The blessed system folder shows a Macintosh icon on it. There's also a utilty for doing. I think it was called somethin

 

 

 

 

Thanks! Tom,

 

Now can you please explain why you chose those?

Tom Owad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 11 min ago
Joined: Dec 16 2003 - 15:14
Posts: 3378
Those are the last

Those are the last significant updates for each major OS version. System 6 feels very old to me, but is fun to try. System 7 has a great balance. System 7.5 has better network support (Open Transport), but is also starting to feel a bit heavy.

Online
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: Feb 27 2021 - 18:59
Posts: 551
OT > MacTCP

I agree with that. Open Transport was a major effort by Apple to make the Mac OS a first-class participant on the Internet. Before, you could only use Internet protocols with a control panel called MacTCP, which was rather clunky and not completely compatible with the standards. Most programs for Internet use after 1994 (when the WWW really started to grow) required OT.

I just wouldn't use a IIfx today to get on the Internet.

Tom Owad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 11 min ago
Joined: Dec 16 2003 - 15:14
Posts: 3378
Rather than the internet, you

Rather than the internet, you want eWorld.

retro_bill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: Aug 5 2020 - 11:56
Posts: 124
Tom Owad wrote:Rather than
Tom Owad wrote:

Rather than the internet, you want eWorld.

As soon as I have the NIC workig I will download!

 

Thanks Tom!

 

Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 19 2003 - 14:45
Posts: 219
eWorld
Tom Owad wrote:

Rather than the internet, you want eWorld.

Can eWorld be accessed with one of these newer WiFi to Serial modems?

Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: Dec 19 2003 - 14:45
Posts: 219
Mac SE/30 vs. Mac IIfx

Someone please refresh my memory:

Isn't my Mac SE/30 basically the electronics of the Mac IIfx inside of a Mac SE style box, but with only one SE/30 style expansion port inside?

Tom Owad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 11 min ago
Joined: Dec 16 2003 - 15:14
Posts: 3378
MichaelLAX wrote:Isn't my Mac
MichaelLAX wrote:

Isn't my Mac SE/30 basically the electronics of the Mac IIfx inside of a Mac SE style box, but with only one SE/30 style expansion port inside?

 

The SE/30 used the same architecture as the IIx.

Tom Owad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 11 min ago
Joined: Dec 16 2003 - 15:14
Posts: 3378
MichaelLAX wrote:Can eWorld
MichaelLAX wrote:

Can eWorld be accessed with one of these newer WiFi to Serial modems?

 

I haven't tried one of those, but eWorld supports Telnet, so you could probably connect that way.

You would need TCP support, for the GUI. Do they have that?

retro_bill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: Aug 5 2020 - 11:56
Posts: 124
Tom Owad wrote:I would want
Tom Owad wrote:

I would want System 6.0.8, 7.1.1, and 7.5.5. You can put System folders for each on the same drive. It'll boot off the folder that's blessed. If you move the System file out of a blessed System folder, it will unbless, and the next valid System folder you open will be blessed. The blessed system folder shows a Macintosh icon on it. There's also a utilty for doing. I think it was called somethin

I could not find and app for blessing the system folder but did find the next best thing:

 

 

http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/testing/docs/TNblessdebless.html

 

Log in or register to post comments