Apple //c monitor suggestion

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 19 hours ago
Joined: Sep 13 2021 - 12:11
Posts: 25
Apple //c monitor suggestion

Hi all,

 

Getting my first //c to add to my collection of //e and IIGS systems. What are the options for a monitor? It looks like there's both a DB15 and Composite output on the back, does that 15 pin work or is it just the composite? I have an AppleColor monitor I use with my IIGS, would be great to use that with the //c. If not, what other options exist, preferably not something that's 35 years old :-)

 

Thanks for any help.

Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 2181
I don't think the IIgs

I don't think the IIgs monitor is compatible with your //c...  or pretty much anything else.  It is analog RGB and syncs to a pretty limited range of frequencies.

The easiest option may be a composite to HDMI adapter and use it with a modern monitor.  That's what I do most of the time with my ][+ and  //e units and clones.  It's not a perfect solution and some of those converters work better than others, but it's usually fairly easy.

 

 

Online
Last seen: 14 min 1 sec ago
Joined: Jun 6 2020 - 10:50
Posts: 388
The //c video port is a bit,

The //c video port is a bit, non standard. Do not plug anything into it that is not explicitly designed for it. Otherwise you risk sending 12v somewhere it shouldnt be. Off hand, there are only two modern options for connecting to something other than composite for the //c I am aware of. 

 

 

First is the A2heaven //c VGA adapter. It currently shows out of stock, but if you contact him, he may be able to build one to order.

 

The second is a generic video adapter project called "RGB2HDMI". It can be adapted to the Apple //c.

 

https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/wiki

 

Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 2181
nick3092 wrote:The //c video
nick3092 wrote:

The //c video port is a bit, non standard. Do not plug anything into it that is not designed for it. Otherwise you risk sending 12v somewhere it shouldnt be. Off hand, there are only two modern options for connecting to something other than composite for the //c I am aware of. 

 

 

First is the A2heaven //c VGA adapter. It currently shows out of stock,

 

Minor problem with that RGB to HDMI project right now is due to the global chip shortage, the Raspberry Pi Zero that it uses is nearly unobtanium.  If you can find anyone who has one in stock they generally want at least 3-5x what they sold for pre-Covid.  An option might be to adapt the design to the more readily available Banana Pi Zero.  However that is not binary compatible (you need OS and code built for the different processor).  And while the BPi is significantly faster (4 cores at 1.2 GHz vs. 1 at 1GHz) that has the downside that it draws more power and generates more heat.  Those things can be dealt with but need to be considered ahead of time.

 

I know the above because of the A2-RPi-IO card project.  I've built several of those cards but only bought one RPi Zero (and paid more than I'd like to get it).  I've also bought some BPi Zero that I'm trying to get working with it, but it is a bit more effort so far.

 

 

CVT
CVT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 50 min ago
Joined: Aug 9 2022 - 00:48
Posts: 777
Online
Last seen: 14 min 1 sec ago
Joined: Jun 6 2020 - 10:50
Posts: 388
Well, parts availability is

Well, parts availability is an issue for many hobby projects. In the RGB2HDMI case, it's the Pi zero. I just cracked open my //c to VGA I bought long before covid. It uses the Lattice LCMXO256C-3TN100C.

 

 

Looking at Digikey and mouser, this is currently unobtanium. Mouser is optimistically expecting 1,200 or so in late Feb 2023. I'm guessing no other parts houses will get any sooner. So even the //c VGA adapter is probably unobtanium till at least Feb. I'd guess even longer though.

 

 

I have several hobbies that are affected by this shortage. It really sucks. 

Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 2181
nick3092 wrote:Well, parts
nick3092 wrote:

Well, parts availability is an issue for many hobby projects. In the RGB2HDMI case, it's the Pi zero. I just cracked open my //c to VGA I bought long before covid. It uses the Lattice LCMXO256C-3TN100C.

 

 

Looking at Digikey and mouser, this is currently unobtanium. Mouser is optimistically expecting 1,200 or so in late Feb 2023. I'm guessing no other part

 

Sadly, that kind of parts availability issue is indeed widespread.

 

 

CVT
CVT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 50 min ago
Joined: Aug 9 2022 - 00:48
Posts: 777
nick3092 wrote:Well, parts
nick3092 wrote:

Well, parts availability is an issue for many hobby projects. In the RGB2HDMI case, it's the Pi zero. I just cracked open my //c to VGA I bought long before covid. It uses the Lattice LCMXO256C-3TN100C.

 

 

Looking at Digikey and mouser, this is currently unobtanium. Mouser is optimistically expecting 1,200 or so in late Feb 2023. I'm guessing no other part

 

They have them in Hong Kong: https://www.win-source.net/products/detail/lattice-semiconductor-corporation/lcmxo256c-3tn100c.html

Online
Last seen: 14 min 1 sec ago
Joined: Jun 6 2020 - 10:50
Posts: 388
Interesting. I tend to only

Interesting. I tend to only check US suppliers, as that's where I live. Obviously Palmen probably gets his elsewhere, being in Europe.  So maybe he could get his hands on some. 

Log in or register to post comments