I have (or) had a working Apple ii Europlus which I have been using as a benchmark machine to restore a second ii Europlus (my project machine). I arrived at the point where the project machine is fully working and has a Super Serial card on board and has successfully linked to ADTpro. So it was time to get one of the spare Disk ii’s I have working with it. I found that neither of the three drives I have performed as expected and after a little head scratching, noticed that the controller card has a number of chips with ‘black corroded’ legs.
So, I reluctantly took the step of hooking one of the drives to my working benchmark machine through its functioning controller card. The drives ran up some speed upon switch on, but kept running and did not stop. It continued to run when I hit control /reset so I knew I had a problem. I tried a couple of disks in it and the problem was the same. I changed, drives and it exhibited the same problem, so I switched back to my one working drive through the working controller, which then exhibited the same problem…damn.
I re-seated the controller card, checked the drive connector to the card but the one working drive I have is not working in the benchmark machine. Tried my trusty dos disks, same symptoms, whatever I do.
I have a new controller card on order from the USA anyway, but that will take time to travel to the UK, but are there any other things I can
try with my formerly working drive and controller card to test / get it working again.
As always, thanks for your advice.