Looking for a specific book of BASIC games

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: Mar 11 2021 - 09:25
Posts: 5
Looking for a specific book of BASIC games

For quite a while now I’ve been looking for an old book of Apple II games I used to check out from the library when I was a kid. It had a Space Invaders clone in it, and it was just about the only Apple programming book I've seen which extensively used sprites in its programs. Several of the games had sound effects routines encoded in DATA lines. But I don’t remember the title. The font was tiny and the programs were very long, and I think the cover was yellow, but my memory of it has grown hazy. Anybody know what this book was?

Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: Sep 16 2009 - 18:34
Posts: 66
Book you're looking for

Is this it? https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Fun-Programming-Activities-Puzzles/dp/086582164X

 

 

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: Mar 11 2021 - 09:25
Posts: 5
gottj wrote:Is this it? https
gottj wrote:

Is this it? https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Fun-Programming-Activities-Puzzles/dp/086582164X

 

Little bit hard to tell without seeing what the programs in it are like.  There is this one as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Graphics-Low-Res-Programs-Activities/dp/0865821658/

But I don't recognize either of those covers.  Is there anywhere online I could see what they look like inside?

 

A couple other distinguishing things I remember from it:

  • I seem to recall the book I'm thinking of being fairly large - around 8.5" x 11".  This sticks in my head since it was an unusually large size.
  • Used shape tables and hi-res graphics in many of the programs in it.
  • A bunch of the programs used machine code represented as DATA lines which were called for things like audio routines.
  • I seem to remember the programs being around 3 full pages of maybe 8pt monospaced type.  They took forever to type in, and were really difficult to not typo because the font was so difficult to distinguish characters.
  • I do remember the programs were complete in a single listing - they didn't require the whole "if you have an Apple II, change these lines" kind of thing.  Indeed, that would have been nearly impossible because of how much platform-specific stuff they did, what with shape tables and machine code routines.  So I think the whole book was Apple II stuff.

 

Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: Sep 16 2009 - 18:34
Posts: 66
Possible book

That sounds familiar because I owned several of those size books for games, business, and practical programs.

 

How about this one: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiRyZzh76nvAhUaHs0KHaEUCpwQFjAAegQIARAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fannarchive.com%2Ffiles%2FBasic_Computer_Games_Microcomputer_Edition.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3ZkmbbrtUeBjWVVslJDOy6

Offline
Last seen: 2 months 5 days ago
Joined: Sep 16 2009 - 18:34
Posts: 66
One more try

This one has a Space invaders type of game. This is specific to the Apple.

 

https://archive.org/details/Apple_Graphics_Arcade_Game_Design/page/n91/mode/2up

 

 

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: Mar 11 2021 - 09:25
Posts: 5
Hmm...I have a copy of the

Hmm...I have a copy of the first one, and that isn't it.  The second one is really interesting, but not it either.  But more importantly is the fact that you pointed me in the direction of Internet Archive's collections of old Apple programming books.  And I think I found part of it.  I think the Space Invaders program I was thinking of was the one shown in this book:

 

https://archive.org/details/moving-graphics_20200706/mode/2up

 

Now...the book I'm remembering had I think that exact program (or one very similar to it) in a larger collection.  Could there have been another book with this program in it?

Thank you very much for pointing me in the direction of the BASIC book collections at The Internet Archive!  At least I've got the one main program I remember now.  I've been searching for this for years and somehow hadn't run across that, so it's awfully nice to at least know I wasn't completely imagining things.  :)

Offline
Last seen: 7 months 6 days ago
Joined: Mar 31 2020 - 19:55
Posts: 848
I have several volumes of

I have several volumes of magazine games that were put out, IIRC by CALL APPLE and/or Nibble. Might it have been one of those? I happen to know where they are, and can flip through them for an invaders game. I have a disk with several Space Invaders games, but the most accurate one is annoying as it does not work well with a joystick. (I think that it was designed for a paddle, so the slightest return toward centre moves your gun.)

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: Mar 11 2021 - 09:25
Posts: 5
Timelord wrote:I have several
Timelord wrote:

I have several volumes of magazine games that were put out, IIRC by CALL APPLE and/or Nibble. Might it have been one of those? I happen to know where they are, and can flip through them for an invaders game. I have a disk with several Space Invaders games, but the most accurate one is annoying as it does not work well with a joystick. (I think that it was designed for a paddle, so the slightest

 

Boy...I don't think so, but I suppose maybe.  I remember it being about magazine-sized, but I thought it was a bit thicker - like 3/8" thick or so.  Memory of it is really hazy, though, so it's possible.  I think I'd be more apt to recognize the programs in it than anything.

Offline
Last seen: 7 months 6 days ago
Joined: Mar 31 2020 - 19:55
Posts: 848
Kyle6502 wrote:Timelord wrote
Kyle6502 wrote:
Timelord wrote:

I have several volumes of magazine games that were put out, IIRC by CALL APPLE and/or Nibble. Might it have been one of those? I happen to know where they are, and can flip through them for an invaders game. I have a disk with several Space Invaders games, but the most accurate one is annoying as it does not work well with a joystick. (I think that it

 

Ah, no, these are about 3/4 to one inch thick, compendiums of programmes from Nibble. Should you find the specific game, please LMK. I love Space Invaders, and all decent shmups. I can try to photograph the cover when I fix my camera. 

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: Mar 11 2021 - 09:25
Posts: 5
Timelord wrote:Kyle6502 wrote
Timelord wrote:
Kyle6502 wrote:
Timelord wrote:

I have several volumes of magazine games that were put out, IIRC by CALL APPLE and/or Nibble. Might it have been one of those? I happen to know where they are, and can flip through them for an invaders game. I have a disk with several Space Invaders games, but the most accurate one is annoying as it does not

 

That does sound promising.   Yeah, if you can snap a picture of one, that would be great.  Thanks!

Log in or register to post comments