Buy MacBook or hold onto my TiBook til something else comes?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 months ago
Joined: Dec 12 2005 - 07:34
Buy MacBook or hold onto my TiBook til something else comes?

Okay, well my 667mhz TiBook has a bunch of things wrong with it--and it's certainly no speed demon, but it still chugs along.

Now I'd love a new computer, but I can't help but wonder if if Apple is going to be introducing a revolutionary new portable computer soon...you know, something tablet-y or something.

Do I put down 1799 smackers for a MacBook now or hold out for something else?

moosemanmoo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: Aug 17 2004 - 15:24
It depends when you need the

It depends when you need the computer. Waiting will never hurt (especially considering that Merom will come out later this year) but the current Macbooks seem to be solid performers.

iantm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: Apr 2 2005 - 14:01
Needs

It all depends on your software needs. I'm in a different spot, but was discussing this earlier today with coworkers. I'm going to wait for the software to become native on the macbook before I upgrade. Then again, I have a 1.5 ghz pbg4 that should last me well into 2007/2008.

Offline
Last seen: 10 years 2 months ago
Joined: Dec 12 2005 - 07:34
merom?

What's merom and what does it do for me?

As for my app needs, well, everything I use is already Universal except of course for the one made by the gazillion-dollar software company...thanks, Office!

But yeah, my PB is starting to get a bit slow what with its constantly running adium, itunes, a browser, email, quicksilver, synergy, bluephone...when I want to add iPhoto to the mix, it's just nasty.

Oh and the HD is full.

And a working optical drive would be nice too...

moosemanmoo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 6 months ago
Joined: Aug 17 2004 - 15:24
Merom is Intel's upcoming pro

Merom is Intel's upcoming processor architecture that promises to be twice as efficient as the current Cure Duo, use significantly less power, add 64-bit support, drive down prices, streamline Intel's offerings, and crush your enemies.

Apparently the release date has slipped to Q4 2006, but I still think it's worth the wait for me. Either way you go, you will have a new computer that is more... functional than your current Powerbook.

iantm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: Apr 2 2005 - 14:01
Janus, treat yourself, you've earned it

By the description of your situation, I'd say run, don't walk to your nearest reseller and upgrade. Since there will always be a better machine within the next year, the waiting game isn't what it's cracked up to be. Office runs acceptably on the intel based machines, so I'd say you're good there. Merom should be nice, but it's probably at least another 8 months out before we'll see units based on it. Maybe a merom based macbook at MW Expo SF 2007. Even then, it's still speculation. At this point, I'd say that your biggest concern will be the financial impact of a $2k laptop.

zmatt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 years 2 months ago
Joined: Jan 22 2006 - 17:25
yes, i agree buy now. as far

yes, i agree buy now. as far as merom, i wouldnt be so optomistic, the past 3-4 years AMD has been putting millions into r&d and evry processor AMD has beats its intel rival on on bang for buck, the $600 Athlon X2 is easily 3X faster than the pentium extreme edition which costs $1000. that being said intel does have better laptop cpus than AMD does, but the past frew months they have been playing catchup in r&d i wouldnt be suprised if merom is under powered but then agian it is just speculation.

Log in or register to post comments