I have a bunch of questions about my new beige G3...
I am a PC nerd who switched over to mac a year ago (I was into Linux, so this was natural progression). I am an A+ Certified PC technician so when giving advice don't worry I won't blow it up (at least not on purpose!)
Back to the beigey...
Okay so I picked up a beige G3. It's got 768MB Ram, 266 MHz G3, Original 6 Gig HD. I put OS X 10.2 on it via CD and updated it all the way up to 10.2.8. I even rebuilt the puppy taking it completely apart and cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol and now she looks new. I put a firewire card in her and plan on putting USB in as well.
Here are my questions:
1) I downloaded VLC and it won't run even though on their website they say they support 10.2; what gives?
2) I have a two button Alps ADB mouse and the right click acts very odd. Sometimes it will do a right click and sometimes it just select the icon. What gives with that, Is it an OS X 10.2 thing (I have only really ever played with 10.3 and 10.4)?
3) Will this Beige G3 take 10.2 Server? I would like to make a server out of her at some point.
4) Why did I have to go multiple versions backward to get bitTorrent to work? Why won't 4.0.2 work?
5) Why doesn't the floppy drive work? Is this an OS X thing or is it just bad hardware?
6) Will any PCI video card work in it? Which ones do I have to buy if I want to play DVDs on her?
7) How much of headache is the processor upgrade route? I really don't need this to be an entertainment workhorse as I own a new powerbook 15" and a TiBook 15" as well; but is it necessary if I want to watch DVDs to upgrade the processor?
Thanks for any advice you can give, it is appreciated!