Applefritter's current server setup is:
- Linode VPS
- applefritter.com (main drupal website)
- download.info.applefritter.com (mirror of download.info.apple.com)_
- old.applefritter.com (downloads reachable by older computers)
- Dacentec Dedicated Server
- git.applefritter.com (git mirrors)
- matrix.applefritter.com (Talk bridge)
- misfire.applefritter.com (hotline)
- RackNerd VPS
- info-mac.applefritter.com (gopher)
- RackNerd VPS
- darkgopher.applefritter.com (gopher)
My original plan was to move everything to Dacentec, but some issues with the server made me lose confidence in it. While I don't mind running on older hardware generally, I'm hesitant about old servers I don't own and can't touch, and I don't like old hard drives. Therefore I'm leaning away from dedicated servers in my price range.
eWorld is at home because it needs babysitting. The gopher servers are on separate VPSes at Racknerd because they need unique IP addresses, and it was cheaper to buy a whole VPS at Racknerd than to add IPs at Dacentec.
One option I'm considering is colocating locally. I have one data center in mind, but am waiting to hear back from them with more details. I have an HP Proliant DL360 left over from a WebODM project, that I think would be suitable with new hard drives.
Another option I'm considering is moving to all VPSes. That would be more expensive because of the space required (about 2 TB) to replace the Dacentec server and Linode (now Akamai) is raising their prices 20% (part of the impetus for moving away from Akamai).
A third possibility would be colocating somewhere farther away, if there's anybody here who works in a data center and wants to help out.
I'm also looking for people who'd like to help with server administration. If you're experienced, that would be great. If you're not, and want to learn, that would be great too!