Help loading Apple II software on IIgs

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: Nov 21 2005 - 22:36
Help loading Apple II software on IIgs

I just got a Apple IIgs after years of not owning one I also just bought 50 diffent new software titles I opened them all and not on able to be read by the iigs. The boxes say either II II plus or iie so not sure it says eject or innitalize disk. I'd like to load them on my external drives. Am I misssing something. I doubt 50 disks from various locations are bad I mean yeah they are old but some should work. They are 5.25 disks. And the drive I has works fine on other software. Any ideas?

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: Apr 10 2006 - 20:01
Re: Help loading Apple II software on IIgs

lpp71 wrote:
I just got a Apple IIgs after years of not owning one I also just bought 50 diffent new software titles I opened them all and not on able to be read by the iigs.

I'd suspect the drive in this case.

lpp71 wrote:
The boxes say either II II plus or iie so not sure it says eject or innitalize disk.

What says that? Is this within GSOS, by chance? If so, they are probably DOS 3.3 disks - which GSOS won't understand without a DOS FST. Long story short - boot them directly.

lpp71 wrote:
I'd like to load them on my external drives. Am I misssing something. I doubt 50 disks from various locations are bad I mean yeah they are old but some should work. They are 5.25 disks. And the drive I has works fine on other software. Any ideas?

This should work. Some more details about your setup would help; but booting a disk directly (i.e PR#6) should work.

Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: Nov 21 2005 - 22:36
Re: Help loading Apple II software on IIgs

It's a IIgs rom 3 with a 3.5 and 5.25 drive and it's running GS/OS 6.0.1. I tried to boot them before startup with he disconned and nothing. Do I need a loader like a dos disk first or?

Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: Nov 21 2005 - 22:36
Re: Help loading Apple II software on IIgs

Oh and the software is from 81-86. So if I need DOS fst where do I get that?

Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: Apr 10 2006 - 20:01
Re: Help loading Apple II software on IIgs

lpp71 wrote:
It's a IIgs rom 3 with a 3.5 and 5.25 drive and it's running GS/OS 6.0.1. I tried to boot them before startup with he disconned and nothing. Do I need a loader like a dos disk first or?

If you have commercial software, it will likely boot on its own. It would help to know what software you are trying; if you have 50 titles, maybe let's concentrate on just one first?

lpp71 wrote:
Oh and the software is from 81-86. So if I need DOS fst where do I get that?

No, again, if it's a shrink-wrapped game, it will boot on its own.

Offline
Last seen: 8 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: Apr 24 2012 - 12:00
Re: Help loading Apple II software on IIgs

Most of the software made for Apple II/II+/IIe is Apple DOS 3.3 OS based, late based on Apple ProDOS 8.

On Apple IIGS, you just boot directly to the 5.25" floppy disk drive which the software disk put in, then it's running...

And, most of them don't need be installed, just plug&play.

Log in or register to post comments