Need help getting SCSI CDrom working in GS-OS for Apple IIgs

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Verault's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: Dec 21 2017 - 14:19
Posts: 305
Need help getting SCSI CDrom working in GS-OS for Apple IIgs
I have an Apple IIgs with a Scsi card and I want to get a Cdrom working with it. This computer has a scsi harddrive with GS-OS 6.0.4 it boots to. I have a known working External Apple 300 CDrom drive I am trying to use but I also have a couple 3rd party external scsi cdroms as well. I loaded the Media Control panel and here is a photo.

 

From what I have seen online I should see a SCSI entry under "select a port" Its not there. What have I missed? Is there a walktrhough I can use for setting up a CDrom correctly on GS-OS?

 

Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 36 min ago
Joined: Feb 27 2021 - 18:59
Posts: 214
I don't see why you would

I don't see why you would need to select both a device and a port. Just selecting "AppleCDSC" should be enough.

Verault's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: Dec 21 2017 - 14:19
Posts: 305
robespierre wrote:I don't see
robespierre wrote:

I don't see why you would need to select both a device and a port. Just selecting "AppleCDSC" should be enough.

Well there isnt alot out there documenting the process and I found this video on youtube. As you can see he has a SCSI entry under "ports"  I do not. https://youtu.be/Ybs917y55QY?t=184

Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: May 31 2022 - 18:18
Posts: 37
If I understand correctly,

If I understand correctly, and I only worked on the official apple stuff...  You have a SCSI card (is it apple HS or regular? Or third party?)You have the SCSI chain configured correctly? i.e. Unique SCSI device IDs for each device? Controller is 7, HD 6, then CD-300 as something lower?The chain is properly terminated? Termination is the most confusing part, and even the experts can go nuts with termination. I see you're using 6.0.4 but you also have the custom driver for CD-300?GS/OS natively only suppored the CD-150 (caddy model). I think that media controller includes the driver for CD-300 driver but that's all new to me.If you have an apple controller card, I'd verify your chain is correctly identified with the SCSI tools (ProDOS tool). Although I don't remeber what the scsi tools does with unknowing device IDs, I thought it reports unknown devices at that address (ID), but maybe not. 

Verault's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: Dec 21 2017 - 14:19
Posts: 305
jeff d wrote:If I understand
jeff d wrote:

If I understand correctly, and I only worked on the official apple stuff...  You have a SCSI card (is it apple HS or regular? Or third party?)You have the SCSI chain configured correctly? i.e. Unique SCSI device IDs for each device? Controller is 7, HD 6, then CD-300 as something lower?The chain is properly terminated? Termination is the most confusing part, and even the

Yes I am running 6.0.4, The bus is properly terminated. Its a 3rd party scsi card. I am using no custom driver, only what was included with GS-OS 6.0.4 

 

Do you have a link to the SCSI tools prodos disk image. Would be happy to run that and post a screenshot. I dont have that disk.

 

magnusfalkirk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 57 min ago
Joined: Feb 18 2007 - 11:46
Posts: 298
Apple ProDOS SCSI utilities

I have copies of both the Apple ProDOS SCSI utilities and SCSI Diasgnostics disk. I'll see about attaching ghem to this message but if that fails I can always send them to you via PM. Looks Like I can't attach them so I'll PM you.

 

 

Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 48 min ago
Joined: Aug 4 2015 - 14:30
Posts: 144
You can attach them

in your reply by using the "Media browser" in the editor's toolbar, if you have them as zip files.

magnusfalkirk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 57 min ago
Joined: Feb 18 2007 - 11:46
Posts: 298
Apple II SCSI software

I followed tolderlund's suggestion and here is everything I've downloaded for use with the SCSI card. I hope this helps.  Package iconApple II SCSI Card.zip Thanks for the suggestion tolderlund, I've never uploaded anything here before.

Verault's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: Dec 21 2017 - 14:19
Posts: 305
Magnusfalkirk, I downloaded

Magnusfalkirk, I downloaded your disk images. Apparently they are only made to work with the Apple branded (or maybe clones of ) scsi cards. Mine is definitely not an Apple branded one. I went through ever single disk image and they pretty much all say "apple scsi card not found".

 

Here is a screenshot of the onboard scsi utility built into the SCSI cards rom. You can see the hard drive shows up as SCSI ID #0 and the CDROM is ID #4

I do have the utility disk for this card and I was reading the PDF manual  (which also tells me the correct jumpers which are set already) and on the section for IIGs it does list CDroms and zip drives so that implies it works with them. There was a driver file it said to add to GS-OS system/drivers folder which I did. I had more access to partitions and it changed the icons so I know the driver worked. Still no cdrom though.

 

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 1330
Verault wrote:Magnusfalkirk,
Verault wrote:

Magnusfalkirk, I downloaded your disk images. Apparently they are only made to work with the Apple branded (or maybe clones of ) scsi cards. Mine is definitely not an Apple branded one. I went through ever single disk image and they pretty much all say "apple scsi card not found".

 

Here is a screenshot of the onboard scsi utility built into the SCSI cards rom. You can see the

Yeah, the CMS card is not compatible with the Apple card even though it uses a SCSI chip similar to the one Apple used in early Macs.

 

This link is worth a read...

 

https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ground.icaen.uiowa.edu/MiscInfo/Hardware/cms

 

All this reminds me...  I've got a CMS SCSI card with the 3/1/90 EPROM on it as well as a CMS external SCSI enclosure that I need to list on eBay one of these days...

I either need to do that or get one of those "BlueSCSI" hard drive emulators...  No sense in letting it sit around.  But I don't really have a need for more storage devices for Apple II right now...  I've got an extra Booti I am going to be listing soon as well.

 

Verault's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: Dec 21 2017 - 14:19
Posts: 305
softwarejanitor wrote:Verault
softwarejanitor wrote:
Verault wrote:

Magnusfalkirk, I downloaded your disk images. Apparently they are only made to work with the Apple branded (or maybe clones of ) scsi cards. Mine is definitely not an Apple branded one. I went through ever single disk image and they pretty much all say "apple scsi card not found".

 

Here is a screenshot of the onboard scsi utility 

 

 

 

 

I could not get blue scsi working on my CMS card (also 1990 eprom). But there is some good news.

 

We all thought the CMS card kind of stinks because it can only address any two 32MB prodos partitions at one time, but that turns out to not be entirely true. With the CMS GS-OS driver file I mentioned in my previous post enabled, you have access to ALL partitions under GS-OS at once! So now I am booting GS-OS and I have to sit through 68 notifications (there are sixty-seven 32MB partitions and one slightly less) of an un-initialized 32MB volule, Should I eject or Initialize! Yikes. I thought there as a GS-OS limit as to how many prodos drives the system can handle at once. Wasnt it 8 or 16 total? I gave up at 9. 

 

What If I swap out my CMS scsi card for my Apple FAST SCSI card or my brand new GGLABS A2SCSI card and keep the first 3 or 4 32MB prodos partitions but convert the remainder of the drive into 4GB HFS (thats the max IIgs can see right?) partitions so I only have a few drives. Think that will work? Then put the CMS card back in and use the drive without so many partitions.

 

All in all this CMS card is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I am pretty pleasantly surprised by it. And I paid $67.00 for it so thats not the end of the world.

 

 

A note on bluescsi: This is just my opinion so dont rail me. I jumped all over blue scsi when it came out. I built them myself for such a low price point it seemed great. But there are compatibility issues I hope they keep on working at. I mostly used them on Macs and havent tried to much with Apple II. In fact I havent had one work with apple II successfully yet. I even got the Zuluscsi which is based on Bluescsi. But I found it still had the same compatibility issues. Again I know there is a community working on it and I hope they keep addressing things. I found the SCSI2SD devices are the most rock solid, and of course the most pricey. Unfortunately with the chip shortage they are just not to be had.

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 1330
Verault wrote:softwarejanitor
Verault wrote:
softwarejanitor wrote:
Verault wrote:

Magnusfalkirk, I downloaded your disk images. Apparently they are only made to work with the Apple branded (or maybe clones of ) scsi cards. Mine is definitely not an Apple branded one. I went through ever single disk image and they pretty much all say "apple scsi card not found".

 

He

 

 

Good to know about the issues with BlueSCSI...  and availability issues for SCSI2SD...  I guess that makes the decision that I should list the CMS SCSI card and external enclosure on eBay.

 

Verault's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: Dec 21 2017 - 14:19
Posts: 305
It could very well work with

It could very well work with the bluescsi. I just gave up after 20 minutes. Dont take my efforts as law on that one.

Online
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: Jun 29 2018 - 16:55
Posts: 218
I have SCSI2SD's, BlueSCSI's,

I have SCSI2SD's, BlueSCSI's, and ZuluSCSI's, all of which seem to have their happiest systems (but SCSI2SD has been rock solid). The ZuluSCSI is made by the same folks who were making SCSI2SD. I have run into some issues, but they have been helpful sorting them. I'm using one right now in my LC II but have not gotten it working on my IIgs yet, but another user reported it working. Funny enough the BlueSCSI works great on the IIgs.

 

See some infos here: https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/replacing-scsi-cd-rom-drive-with-scsi-sd-card-adapter.300/post-358537

Namely this, quoted:

Hi, I own Rabbit Hole Computing(formerly doing business as Inertial Computing), and we've been manufacturing and selling SCSI2SD V5's for over five years. SCSI2SD V5.0 will likely never be in stock again with ITEAD. The CY8C5267AXI-LP051Cypress/Infineon semiconductor PSoC 5LP microcontroller used in SCSI2SD V4/V5 is unavailable globally, and the manufacturer-suppied lead time is currently eighty weeks, or just over 1.5 years. We spent nearly one calendar year waiting for more of these chips to ship to us, directly from the manufacturer. We developed ZuluSCSI as a logical and spiritual successor to SCSI2SD V5. We knew this day was coming, we stockpiled SCSI2SD V5 parts to the extent that we were financially able to, and when it became clear this was going to be a long term problem, we invested signficant financial resources in development of ZuluSCSI, almost exactly one year ago.ZuluSCSI can deliver read speeds ~4x that of SCSI2SD V4/V5 (same chip), and it's overall a lot easier to use.You can buy a fully assembled and tested ZuluSCSI RP2040 for $59 today. We're based in the US.

 

 

Ignoring cost, right now I'm using a RaSCSI, as it has a web interface where I can mount ISOs on the fly. It's costly since raspberry Pi's are costly, but man is the thing awesome. I can even print from OS9 to my new Brother laser printer using the RaSCSI as a bridge (networked, not over the actual SCSI port). It's super feature rich for tinkering but I don't use one as a primary storage solution for a machine (though I do run an AFP daemon / netatalk on it now). 

Verault's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: Dec 21 2017 - 14:19
Posts: 305
skate323k137 wrote:I have
skate323k137 wrote:

I have SCSI2SD's, BlueSCSI's, and ZuluSCSI's, all of which seem to have their happiest systems (but SCSI2SD has been rock solid). The ZuluSCSI is made by the same folks who were making SCSI2SD. I have run into some issues, but they have been helpful sorting them. I'm using one right now in my LC II but have not gotten it working on my IIgs yet, but another user reported it working. Funny enough

Well I dont think you can just say Bluescsi works on a IIgs, it depends on the SCSI adapter as this thread posts.

 

Yeah I had spoken to them about avaialbility on SCSI2SD and they mentioned ZULUSCSI and thats why I bought it as well, but its still a very new product and has bugs to be worked out.

 

Rasscsi doesnt appeal to me as it seems like a waste to need a whole raspberry pi to use it. Just my opinion,

Online
Last seen: 1 hour 20 min ago
Joined: Jun 29 2018 - 16:55
Posts: 218
I mean, sure, the card may

I mean, sure, the card may/will matter. I use the most common one I see, the rev C or clone Apple SCSI card. BlueSCSI has always worked well for me with that card [on the IIgs].

 

As I said the RaSCSI isn't a permanent solution in any of my machines but more a Swiss army knife. The disk emulation is nice but it also has:

 

Daynaport SCSI ethernet card emulation

The ability to share a modern CUPS printer as a laserwriter for classic Macs on the ethernet appletalk network. 

AFP server 

Web interface for ISOs and changing disk images on the flu. This helps me a lot for setting up machines with internal scsi2sd that I don't want to open to get to the SD Card.

Apple II boot server (haven't tried this yet)

A bunch of stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.

 

For most people a RaSCSI is overly expensive or complicated, but it serves many of these purposes on many of my machines on an as needed basis. For CD gaming on the powermac, the web UI for ISOs is great. Being able to pull down my HDD image and work with an emulator and SFTP it back is also great. I guess it also helps I was/am a Linux sysadmin so managing the bells and whistles isn't bad for me personally. 

Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: May 31 2022 - 18:18
Posts: 37
Verault wrote:I do have the
Verault wrote:

I do have the utility disk for this card and I was reading the PDF manual  (which also tells me the correct jumpers which are set already) and on the section for IIGs it does list CDroms and zip drives so that implies it works with them. There was a driver file it said to add to GS-OS system/drivers folder which I did. I had more access to partitions and it changed the icons so I know the driver worked. Still no cdrom though.

 

From what I see in the screenshot and the comments about the OS I think you're running into the incompatibility of the CD-300. What you may not know is GS/OS only supported the protocol found in the CD-150. The CD-300 was a different protocol which which is why the CD-150 is the only drive officially supported CD drive.You later asked about the number of partitions and I believe the correct answer is 16. This was recently asked on a FB group and did answer correctly, but now can't rember if I said 16 or 32. I think it's 16... Whatever number I said was confirmed by the person who asked. 16 was quite a large number when the 20MB 20SCHD originally cost $800! FWIW, another "related" side-discussion in that FB thread came from someone quoting the SCSI driver source code saying it had SCSI-II support. While that never happened, I remember the developer playing with the protocol but that was just internal stuff that was never released. I'm not sure what source is available on arcive, maybe someone should compile it and check. 

Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: May 31 2022 - 18:18
Posts: 37
Verault wrote:I do have the
Verault wrote:

I do have the utility disk for this card and I was reading the PDF manual  (which also tells me the correct jumpers which are set already) and on the section for IIGs it does list CDroms and zip drives so that implies it works with them. There was a driver file it said to add to GS-OS system/drivers folder which I did. I had more access to partitions and it changed the icons so I know the driver worked. Still no cdrom though.

 

From what I see in the screenshot and the comments about the OS I think you're running into the incompatibility of the CD-300. What you may not know is GS/OS only supported the protocol found in the CD-150. The CD-300 was a different protocol which which is why the CD-150 is the only drive officially supported CD drive.You later asked about the number of partitions and I believe the correct answer is 16. This was recently asked on a FB group and did answer correctly, but now can't rember if I said 16 or 32. I think it's 16... Whatever number I said was confirmed by the person who asked. 16 was quite a large number when the 20MB 20SCHD originally cost $800! FWIW, another "related" side-discussion in that FB thread came from someone quoting the SCSI driver source code saying it had SCSI-II support. While that never happened, I remember the developer playing with the protocol but that was just internal stuff that was never released. I'm not sure what source is available on arcive, maybe someone should compile it and check. 

Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: Dec 19 2008 - 21:01
Posts: 366
I'm not sure the CMS card can

I'm not sure the CMS card can do anything except 32M ProDOS partitions.

Without some other 3rd party software that knows how to talk to it directly, there is no way for it to work with another file system, like HFS or ISO9660 or anything like that.

It thinks it really was a basic IIe card that just happened to work in the IIgs also.

If you managed to burn a CD with ProDOS partitions on it in a way that the CMS card would recognize, that might work, but it wouldn't be very flexible. I never tried it.

 

 

Verault's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: Dec 21 2017 - 14:19
Posts: 305
Well I tried the hard drive

Well I tried the hard drive on my secquential systems Ram/Fast SCSI and GGlabs A2Scsi and they cannot see the individual prodos partitions just the drive name. So Modifying the existing partitions is out the door. I have a pretty good feeling if I format/partition on  another card the CMS card would then not be able to read the drive. I guess it wouldnt hurt to try.

Log in or register to post comments