Well, I added an OrangeLink FireWire/USB2 combo card to my G3/300 (beige). I've hooked up a FireWire 400, 120GB disk, and I can't copy from the G3 to the drive. Anything larger than 15MB will hang up around halfway. It's very frustrating - it didn't hang up once, it's a recurring problem. So what can I do...replace the card?
Second, I'd like to know what causes MDS (motherboard death syndrome). It happened on 3 of my Macs. The Mac refuses to do anythign when any of the power buttons are pressed. These things are certain:
- It's not the power supply. Motherboard gets damaged.
- It's not a power surge causing it
- Replacing the battery doesn't help
- Ditto for disconnecting everything, 3rd party devices and PCI cards
- It's not because I installed something and shocked a component or anything like that...it just does it all of a sudden won't boot
Nothing is to be done but replace the mobo. Scary.
Third, one of my friends still has a 7500/100. I want to help him out a bit (since he can't get a newer one). There is a dead 8600 in my office. Will the CPU and RAM from this machine work in the 7500?
I called Apple on this, and they said go for it (reminding me that it's not covered by the warranty. Why thank you! Would a 7500/8600 have a warranty by now???)
Then I talked to one of my Apple friends, and he said that the 8600 card won't work in the 7500 because it's Mach 5 (5V) whereas the 7500 is 3.3V. I'm afraid he's right
Thanks for the awnsers every1...