Datanetics Keyboard Build guide and some additional information

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: Oct 9 2011 - 12:54
Posts: 1351
Datanetics Keyboard Build guide and some additional information

So I decided to update my Datanetics build guide.

One thing I noticed was that what my original cable instructions which were based upon Mike Willegal's reverse engineered Rev 'b' schematic didn't match the reset and clear screen key layout on the last 3 original Apple-1 ByteShop cases with Datanetics keyboards that I have worked on.

It should also be noted, that for the Rev D keyboard which is what the byteshop used, pin 4 on the bottom of the edge connector is no longer the +5v power, but is used for a shift lock key and indicator light. The +5V power is on pin 5 of the bottom of the edge connector. I made this mistake before when working on a keyboard and thought I had a bad encoder. I had checked the pins between the Rev B and Rev D cables, but gave up after all the top connector pins matched. My Bad.

Anyway... Here is the latest doc.

Datanetics Build Guide

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 47 min ago
Joined: Jan 30 2021 - 11:55
Posts: 50
About C1 capacitor

Hello and thank you for your guide.

My question is, why you don't put the C1 capacitor as the schematic information, but connect the one pin of C1 to pin 3 of 555 timer.  

Thank you

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 1558
One suggestion...  You might

One suggestion...  You might include a link to Joe's Computer Museum.  They make a modern replacement for the encoder chip.  Yes, it isn't period correct, but it is fairly reasonably priced and readily available.

 

 

https://jcm-1.com/product/mm5740aae-replacement-keyboard-encoder/

 

I've not been able to get PCBs made from either JLCPCB or PCBWay using the gerbers from Mike's web site.  Neither of them can figure out the size of the board, which I believe should be 299x140mm.  Even when I key that in, it seems like they are confused about what the layers should be and they complain about not having solder mask (which there is none on this board).  PCBWay also wants a crazy price for what gets uploaded, like over $150 for 5 boards.

 

I ended up ordering a board off eBay from someone in Hong Kong that I've bought from before.  It was a little expensive to ship, but at least it looks like it should be correct.

 

FWIW, I am going to use Cherry MX switches and keycaps with the 3D printed adapters discussed in a different thread about Apple II Datanetics keyboards.  It looks like that adapter should work fine on this PCB also.

 

 

 

Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Jun 29 2018 - 16:55
Posts: 309
 softwarejanitor wrote:I've

 

softwarejanitor wrote:

I've not been able to get PCBs made from either JLCPCB or PCBWay using the gerbers from Mike's web site.  Neither of them can figure out the size of the board, which I believe should be 299x140mm.  Even when I key that in, it seems like they are confused about what the layers should be and they complain about not having solder mask (which there is none on this board).  PCBWay also wants a crazy price for what gets uploaded, like over $150 for 5 boards.

 

I went through this issue with the Brain Board PCB when I revised it, with the exception that it has a solder mask layer. It was fixable though, if you link me the gerber you're speaking of I can have a look. 

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 1558
skate323k137 wrote:
skate323k137 wrote:

 

softwarejanitor wrote:

I've not been able to get PCBs made from either JLCPCB or PCBWay using the gerbers from Mike's web site.  Neither of them can figure out the size of the board, which I believe should be 299x140mm.  Even when I key that in, it seems like they are confused about what the layers should be and they complain about not having s

 

 

The link to the zip of the gerbers is here:  http://www.willegal.net/appleii/dc-6e.zip

 

 

I actually had no trouble getting the orignal BrainBoard PCBs made.  I don't remember now which place I used but I uploaded the zip and it worked.

 

On the Datanetics PCB I even tried renaming the files thinking maybe the filename conventions were messing things up.  It didn't seem to matter much.  The gerbers look fine when viewed in gerbv under Linux.

 

 

 

Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Jun 29 2018 - 16:55
Posts: 309
softwarejanitor wrote
softwarejanitor wrote:
skate323k137 wrote:

 

softwarejanitor wrote:

I've not been able to get PCBs made from either JLCPCB or PCBWay using the gerbers from Mike's web site.  Neither of them can figure out the size of the board, which I believe should be 299x140mm.  Even when I key that in, it seems like they are confused about what the layer

 

Give this a look, I re-saved it from a modern version of Osmond and set file extensions for PCBWAY.  

 

https://photosuckit.com/GerberFiles_dc-revb-v6e-new.zip

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 1558
Thanks, I will try uploading

Thanks, I will try uploading it later and see whether it works.

 

Macintosh_nik's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 1 min ago
Joined: Jan 8 2021 - 05:18
Posts: 251
Hi skate323k137!

Thank you! Can you also do the same with the ASCII to PS/2 Keyboard Adapter? I use a different adapter but would like to build the Mike Willegal adapter in time.

 

http://www.willegal.net/appleii/HWfiles.zip

Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Jun 29 2018 - 16:55
Posts: 309
 Macintosh_nik wrote:Thank

 

Macintosh_nik wrote:

Thank you! Can you also do the same with the ASCII to PS/2 Keyboard Adapter? I use a different adapter but would like to build the Mike Willegal adapter in time.

 

http://www.willegal.net/appleii/HWfiles.zip

Sure mate, here you go:

 

https://photosuckit.com/Update_GerberFiles_WillegalKeyAdapter.zip

 

I took a quick look on PCBWAY and it looks OK at first glance. If I royally screwed up please let me know :) 

Macintosh_nik's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 1 min ago
Joined: Jan 8 2021 - 05:18
Posts: 251
Hi skate323k137!

Thank you all is well!

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 1558
skate323k137 wrote: Macintosh
 

 

I ended up making a few tweaks to the datanetics pcb gerbers and uploading to JLCPCB.  I should have boards in about a week.

 

PCBWay was about 3x the price...

 

I wish I had some kind of gerber editor.  I may end up writing one because there seems to be a void in tools there for people who don't want to spend a fortune.

 

 

 

 

Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 22 min ago
Joined: Jun 29 2018 - 16:55
Posts: 309
softwarejanitor wrote:  I
softwarejanitor wrote:
 

 

I ended up making a few tweaks to the datanetics pcb gerbers and uploading to JLCPCB.  I should have boards in about a week.

 

PCBWay was about 3x the price...

 

I wish I had some kind of gerber editor.  I may end up writing one because there seems to be a void in tools there for people who don't want to spe

So did that end up helping / did you start from the updated files I posted? 

 

I always quote PCBs at both JLC and PCBway. I actually find JLCS HASL to be smoother but thats a minor issue as most production cards with edges I will use ENIG. But then also, PCBway has the option bevel edge connectors, so I try to use them for slotted cards. 

 

Editing a gerber itself is interesting... I have been learning KiCad, Fritzing, and Osmond, the latter two because other projects had their source files. If you have the original work piece pre export, making changes is easier since components and signals are identified etc. 

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: Jul 5 2018 - 09:44
Posts: 1558
skate323k137 wrote
skate323k137 wrote:
softwarejanitor wrote:
 

 

I ended up making a few tweaks to the datanetics pcb gerbers and uploading to JLCPCB.  I should have boards in about a week.

 

PCBWay was about 3x the price...

 

I wish I had some kind of gerber editor.  I may end up writing one because there seems to be a v

 

Yes, it was very helpful.  The only thing I did was delete the solder mask layer because I want the PCBs to look more like the original Datanetics ones that didn't have any.  And that caused some consternation with JLCPCB.  I have gone back and forth with them on how to proceed but I think they are going to make the boards the way I want them.  Anyway, they will either work or I'll learn something, one way or the other.

 

 

 

Log in or register to post comments