That's right. I used a 3.5" external USB 1.1 with OS 9.2.2 to startup the iMac DV off of.
I was wondering that, since PeeCee's could do it, maybe, just maybe, a Mac could do it.
To do this (I have only done this on an iMac DV Graphite.)
you need a 2.5" or 3.5" External USB Hard drive case with a HDD in it. (I used a generic 3.5" HDD case with an 11.3GB Maxtor HDD) and attach it to one of the ports. these are the next steps:
1. turn on the computer.
2. insert an OS CD/DVD
3. Hold down the "C" key until you see the "welcome to OS [insert # here]"
4. At the desktop, start the "Install Mac OS" program.
5. Install onto the external HDD.
6. Restart the computer.
7. On Restart, hold down the "Option" key until the disk selector comes up.
8. Click on the External HDD icon.
9. Enjoy the fruits of your labor
*note: this will only work on a Mac with built-in USB ports.
* I have only tried this on an iMac DV
* Disclaimer: I am not responsible for lost data and/or physical or mental damage. If you start to hillucenate from Mental damage, Check your-self into an Asylum Immediately