THIS is Laughable!

2715 posts / 0 new
Last post
gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!

apple7159,

It's a wonder it went that high.

Most of his auctions show a Stock Internet Picture
of what he is selling and nothing else.

I have written to him via eBay and he hardly ever
places actual pictures of what he is selling.

I steer clear of anything he places there.

Steven Smile

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 7 hours ago
Joined: May 11 2016 - 20:58
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Is "ultra rare" more or less rare than "mega rare" and "super rare"?

I keep getting the Adjectives To Enhance Subjective Owner Enthusiasm For Unknowable Worldwide Item Availability scale mixed up.

Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 12 min ago
Joined: Feb 25 2014 - 23:19
Re: THIS is Laughable!
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 44 min ago
Joined: May 27 2009 - 01:37
Re: THIS is Laughable!

That's gotta be some mistake, because I've purchased several boards from somersetsale before at very reasonable prices. I wonder what's the gig with it?

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132114624435?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They're saying that it's NOS and never used.
That still does not make it worth $3500.00.

Steven Smile

Hawaii Cruiser's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: Jan 20 2005 - 16:03
Re: THIS is Laughable!

This is so funny. I haven't been back to this site in many years and this thread is still going!

Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 44 min ago
Joined: May 27 2009 - 01:37
Re: THIS is Laughable!

That $3500 serial card was an error. They relisted it at 34.99.. I thought so because I had good deals from them before.

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Belbelbel has brought out the Big Guns:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172563630650?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm not so sure he'll get what he's asking.

Steven Smile

Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 44 min ago
Joined: May 27 2009 - 01:37
Re: THIS is Laughable!

I don't see why it wouldn't sell. It's a lot of material all brought together in one deal.

Might be a bit on the high side, but some collectard will come along sooner or later.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 week ago
Joined: Apr 4 2016 - 20:53
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Just what I always wanted...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311818021256

A giant red .... and very expensive Apple fleece - not!

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!
PINKBOY1006's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 54 min ago
Joined: Jul 9 2016 - 17:27
Re: THIS is Laughable!
transwarp II guy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: Mar 7 2013 - 08:55
Re: THIS is Laughable!

I don't know why the Bell & Howells have sky rocketed over the last 2 years. I love the computers, but I haven't been able to add another one to my collection for some time... and its due to the extreme cost.

They are uncommon, but not all that rare!

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 21 min ago
Joined: Oct 9 2011 - 12:54
Re: THIS is Laughable!

It's in the wrong box.

Sure if it had a backpack and was in the right box a collector might spend similar on it.

But if all I had to do was take a II+ era B&H and throw it in a IIe box to get 2.5k, I guess I'm in the wrong business. That's like double or tripling your money or more overnight.

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: May 27 2013 - 13:01
Re: THIS is Laughable!

gsmcten wrote:

Looks like Wayn has tossed his hat in the B & H arena too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172574151114?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone who would try to sell that computer at that price has turned to the dark side.

transwarp II guy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: Mar 7 2013 - 08:55
Re: THIS is Laughable!

insanitor wrote:
Anyone who would try to sell that computer at that price has turned to the dark side.

lol! The puns are strong in this one.

Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 21 min ago
Joined: Oct 9 2011 - 12:54
Re: THIS is Laughable!

well since the XP-38 came out, they just aren't in demand.

jwg1962's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: Jan 29 2012 - 07:17
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Really?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222438912417?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Steven Smile

I know. Has everyone noticed the price of Apple IIe systems on eBay have gone through the roof! I was thinning out my collection a few months ago and put a bunch of them up there for $50.00 plus shipping and they went like hot cakes. Now I see why. Everyone wants more than $100 for just the system unit and up to $500 for a complete system.

As far as I can tell some of them are selling at this price too.

Jay

jwg1962's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: Jan 29 2012 - 07:17
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Quote:

I know. Has everyone noticed the price of Apple IIe systems on eBay have gone through the roof! I was thinning out my collection a few months ago and put a bunch of them up there for $50.00 plus shipping and they went like hot cakes. Now I see why. Everyone wants more than $100 for just the system unit and up to $500 for a complete system.

As far as I can tell some of them are selling at this price too.

Jay

MarkO's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: Dec 10 2011 - 16:26
Re: THIS is Laughable!

jwg1962 wrote:
Really?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222438912417?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Steven Smile

I know. Has everyone noticed the price of Apple IIe systems on eBay have gone through the roof! I was thinning out my collection a few months ago and put a bunch of them up there for $50.00 plus shipping and they went like hot cakes. Now I see why. Everyone wants more than $100 for just the system unit and up to $500 for a complete system.

As far as I can tell some of them are selling at this price too.

Jay

I guess the REAL WAVE of Retro Collectors is Just Starting....

MarkO

CWJ_Wilko's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: Jun 2 2015 - 23:38
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Meanwhile in Australia... : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-Random-5-25-Floppy-Disk-for-Commodore-64-C64-128-/322452934087

AU$5 per used diskette.... WITHOUT A DISK SLEEVE?!

That's equal to $3.85 in US dollars.

Australia typically has inflated prices compared to the US, but this is beyond stupid. I've bought several 10-packs of new-old stock diskettes for between AU$20 and AU$25.

More often than not, it seems that Australian sellers are doing themselves a disservice by trying to sell wares for more than it would cost to import them from overseas, including currency exchange and priority shipping!

Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: May 27 2013 - 13:01
Re: THIS is Laughable!

CWJ_Wilko wrote:
Meanwhile in Australia... : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-Random-5-25-Floppy-Disk-for-Commodore-64-C64-128-/322452934087

AU$5 per used diskette.... WITHOUT A DISK SLEEVE?!

That's equal to $3.85 in US dollars.

Australia typically has inflated prices compared to the US, but this is beyond stupid. I've bought several 10-packs of new-old stock diskettes for between AU$20 and AU$25.

More often than not, it seems that Australian sellers are doing themselves a disservice by trying to sell wares for more than it would cost to import them from overseas, including currency exchange and priority shipping!

Who needs disk sleeves? Krazy Glue can fix everything, right?

By the way, what's a disk sleeve? Blum 3

Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 hours ago
Joined: Sep 1 2015 - 10:46
Re: THIS is Laughable!
gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Some really good ones folks. lol

I just have to laugh about the one guy
who had a IIe up for $5k and told me that he had folks
waiting in line to buy it.
It's been relisted starting at $1,995.00 with a
Buy It Now of $3500.00.

I wanted to write back and ask where his buyers went?

Steven Smile

Offline
Last seen: 4 months 4 days ago
Joined: Nov 24 2013 - 13:23
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Not sure if this is laughable or just snickery:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162431785540

He had closeup photos that showed many if not most of the ICs had been replaced with 1981 vintage chips. The ROMs are Applesoft. Upon being informed his response was to remove the detail shots. Sad

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Jun 17 2015 - 22:10
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Falter, I have contacted the seller a few times asking for additional photos. He never sends me any. I also asked him why all the chips appear to be from 1980's. I told him it does not make any sense that ALL the original chips would fail. He just responded back and said the original chips were "upgraded." In addition, his original listing for this motherboard was shut down by eBay. I received this message regarding that "Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages from us-tech through eBay's messaging system. This account was recently found to have been accessed by an unauthorized third party, who may have used the account in an attempt to defraud other members.

We've taken action to restore this account to the original owner, but wanted to let you know to be suspicious of any communication you may have received from them. Nothing is wrong with your account at this time – this message is just being sent as a precaution. If you have received any messages from us-tech that appears suspicious, please feel free to forward them to us at for review."

So, I don't know.

1978AppleII's picture
Online
Last seen: 46 min 33 sec ago
Joined: Jul 5 2015 - 16:54
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Yeah I also contacted them when I saw it with similar questions/concerns.

So far no reply, and I also got the warning emails from eBay...

So I dunno if this is a legit Rev 0 that someone had laying around with no chips or if its perhaps a Replica Rev 0 similar to what I've seen offered elsewhere.

But I'm certainly not spending $5000.00 on something I can't count on being legit.

Best of luck folks!

Jennifer

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!

These folks just can't be serious:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272599278133?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll have some of what they're smoking. lol

Steven Smile

Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 days ago
Joined: Mar 16 2017 - 07:31
Re: THIS is Laughable!
gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Hunter,

There's no talking to belbelbel.

He's had several items up for sale at sky high prices
and so far he's not getting any nibble's.

Steven Smile

Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 44 min ago
Joined: May 27 2009 - 01:37
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Gotta create the illusion of eliteness by increasing the price. After all, if it were $500, it would not be a worthy collector's item. No thrill of the hunt. Ya' know?

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 1 month ago
Joined: Jun 17 2015 - 22:10
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Steven, if it had said museum quality, or maybe Steve Jobs in the title, I would have mortgage my house to buy it.

Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 44 min ago
Joined: May 27 2009 - 01:37
Re: THIS is Laughable!

You peeps know, in time, they'll be selling for that. And more!!!

transwarp II guy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 30 min ago
Joined: Mar 7 2013 - 08:55
Re: THIS is Laughable!

You gotta love how the discoloration doesn't match on each piece... heck even the apple IIe lid doesn't look the same color as the case lol! It looks like some sort of cobbled together Frankenstein machine lol!

On top of that, using a monitor III stand with a monitor II is utterly pointless... and looks stupid as can be.

I guess what I mentioned above just adds value though right? I mean, its so unique!

Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 44 min ago
Joined: May 27 2009 - 01:37
Re: THIS is Laughable!

I wrote the guy and he said he knows how much they sold for in the past. AAAAAnnnndddd that he listed it for half-price.

Well if that's the situation then I got a million bucks in common Apple stuff! Ohh my ohh my!

gsmcten's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: Oct 4 2005 - 18:52
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Keatah,

LOL

Me Too!!!

LOL

Steven Smile

macnoyd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 23 min ago
Joined: Oct 15 2012 - 08:59
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Me three!!
Hey, we should start a thread that showcases our A][ collections.
Maybe folks will get the idea these aren't as rare as they think.

jwg1962's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 30 min ago
Joined: Jan 29 2012 - 07:17
Re: THIS is Laughable!

macnoyd wrote:
Me three!!
Hey, we should start a thread that showcases our A][ collections.
Maybe folks will get the idea these aren't as rare as they think.

Hey Macnoyd,

That's not a half bad idea. I am with Steven. When I saw the $16,000 price tag, I thought it came sitting in a new car.

"Holy Crap" is putting it mild.

Jay

Dog Cow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: Dec 11 2008 - 16:26
Re: THIS is Laughable!

jwg1962 wrote:
macnoyd wrote:
Me three!!
Hey, we should start a thread that showcases our A][ collections.
Maybe folks will get the idea these aren't as rare as they think.

Hey Macnoyd,

That's not a half bad idea. I am with Steven. When I saw the $16,000 price tag, I thought it came sitting in a new car.

"Holy Crap" is putting it mild.

He must have seen that million dollar Twiggy drive that we were ogling a week or two ago, and that emboldened him. Blum 3

Offline
Last seen: 4 months 4 days ago
Joined: Nov 24 2013 - 13:23
Re: THIS is Laughable!

Here's a new tack: take an unspecial Apple II+.. put it in a wooden case you made that sort of from 500 feet resembles someone's original Apple 1 case.. and then flog it for $2500. Will it work? Can't wait to find out..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142328032352

Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 44 min ago
Joined: May 27 2009 - 01:37
Re: THIS is Laughable!

That framed motherboard with date-incorrect chips sold for top dollah!

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 days ago
Joined: Aug 14 2014 - 12:09
Re: THIS is Laughable!

WTF....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Apple-I-Computer-Replica-Working-One-of-a-kind-Apple-II-collectable-/142328032352?hash=item2123696c60:g:MzYAAOSwWxNYsy9A

Apple ][+ Frankenstein.

Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 days ago
Joined: Aug 14 2014 - 12:09
Re: THIS is Laughable!
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 days ago
Joined: Aug 14 2014 - 12:09
Re: THIS is Laughable!

WTF...Fk!...ImageWriter II's are now being broken down and parts sold on eBay. Last time I looked, you could buy a complete printer (non working) for this price.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/A9M0310-KNOB-Apple-Rotary-Knob-Apple-Imagewriter-II-/182506211562?hash=item2a7e37c8ea:g:W0oAAOSwax5Y2fYO

Dog Cow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: Dec 11 2008 - 16:26
Re: THIS is Laughable!

falter wrote:
Here's a new tack: take an unspecial Apple II+.. put it in a wooden case you made that sort of from 500 feet resembles someone's original Apple 1 case.. and then flog it for $2500. Will it work? Can't wait to find out..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142328032352

Quote from seller: "I built a case out of solid mahogany to replicate the look of that machine. (it took three tries before I got it right)."

A 4th try wouldn't have hurt... Beee

Dog Cow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: Dec 11 2008 - 16:26
Re: THIS is Laughable!

myPal wrote:
WTF...Fk!...ImageWriter II's are now being broken down and parts sold on eBay. Last time I looked, you could buy a complete printer (non working) for this price.

Who cares??!!! I want to mount that knob in my plexiglass jewel case with velvet lining and the little lights shining down on it!!! :O

Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 44 min ago
Joined: May 27 2009 - 01:37
Re: THIS is Laughable!

No end to the lengths which an ebay seller will go to.

Stripping machines for parts is now common in the Apple II ecosphere. You're more likely to pay $30.00 + $10 s&h for 1 single part rather than 60 or 70 for the whole shebang. Let someone else deal with the ugliness of disposal.

Wait! It's the disposal and recyclers that are doing this! AAAAHHHHHHH!

Pages

Log in or register to post comments